Let's uncork this bad boy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the airbox lid in front of me. How do I get this snorkel off of it? Do I need to cut it? This snorkel seems kinda useless. It's just a rubber tube. It only lets you get 3/4" deeper in the water before flooding.

Never mind. I got it. I had to let it warm up to room temperature first and use brute force.

Last edited by Feral Donkey; 03-01-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

You must be a little north of Portage, my brother lives in Marshfield and I shoot up 39 every once in a while.
I have the Q4 and love it, and I have always had good luck with RMATV
You should try and make it to the Bucky Dual Sport ride in Madison this fall.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ighlight=bucky
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=30377
Have you ever riden at Dyracuse park in Nekoosa?
Dan

Old 03-01-2010, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm in Oxford. I've been to Dyracuse for the hill climbs but have never ridden there. We've got some private land around here we can ride on. Before the grass gets too deep in early summer I like to tear up the ditches over in Adams county.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I've never heard of that ride. We'll have to take that in!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, good choice on bikes.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

For the time being, before I get the $400 together to blow on the bike-bling, how much can I shim the needle? Should I play with the pilot screw? I was tempted to find it and open it up a half turn. In this cold weather these things do not want to start the way they're set up out of the box.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Not starting in the cold is pretty much normal. Its a carb flaw. Swapping to a pumper carb fixes the problem. Or you could tilt the bike to one side and try start it then (what I do) when it doesn't want to start.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I backed out the pilot screw 2 and 1/2 turns and it starts just fine now. I also put a #4 washer under the needle.

I took the snorkel off and it wouldn't start. I turned it over and over and over until I decided to put my hand over the air cleaner hole and it started running. So I put the snorkel back in the lid and it runs fine now and starts in the cold.

Next step is to make it run like it was made to run. That'll take jetting and a pipe.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Feral Donkey, the easiest way to fix the cold start problem is to turn the fuel off a couple of blocks from home and let it run out of gas. Or, as you may have found out, that opening the fuel screw may solve that problem. I've never seen that in a post to say that it cures the cold start problem. Since my rejet, I still run mine out out of gas and it starts every time. I'll try and leave the fuel on the next time I park it and see if it still starts easy. Any thoughts guys?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

How is running your bowl dry making it easier to start? I'm all corn-fused now.

It's still not the easiest starting but it does start where before it wouldn't. Simple solution is to let it have some friggin gas. After I did that it's got a little better throttle response and pulls me down the road a little better. Now I'll just need to do it for real with a pipe and jet kit.

Quick Reply: Let's uncork this bad boy!