Let's uncork this bad boy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Let's uncork this bad boy!

I just picked up a brand new '09 KLX250S yesterday. I'm going to invest in a pipe, jet kit, and air cleaner when I can. In the meantime, can I just open the pilot screw and shim the needle a bit to actually give it some gas so it runs a little better. This Kalifornia EPA conformaty is B.S. This is Wisconsin. Our angry cows make better cheese!

I guess what I'm asking is: are there any good quick and dirty ways to wake this thing up a bit like the .22 cent mod on the KLR?

Last edited by Feral Donkey; 02-28-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/free-mods.html

This site has some good tech tips and pictorial guides to make the bikes run better. I didn't remove the airbox lid, but I took out the snorkel, and it runs much better. Until you can re-jet the carb properly, taking the lid off may make it run worse, not better.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I took the airbox lid off today and I forgot to put it back on. That made it run worse like you said and it also made a lot of noise. Thanks for the link. I'll go look at that.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome , Congratulations on the bike. The free mods really don't make a noticeable difference in my opinion, but good to do if you want to satisfy a tinkering urge. The future mods you mention (Jet-Pipe-Filter) will help. Search around, a lot of good info on here. Whereabouts in Wisco are you?
Dan- Rockford IL

Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Dan. I'm an hour north of Madison, just off I39.

What pipe do you guys recomend? Rocky Mtn only has the FMF in stock. I like dealing with them if I can.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, the CA emission stuff is crap. But is also illegal to remove when it comes equiped from the factory. Then again, as long as the bikes don't have inspections, should be fine.

A quick and free trick would be to raise the needle in the carb. But that will only improve the mid-range throttle. Best to re-jet completely and open the air flow (intake and exhuast) to get the best full range.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new purchase Feral Donkey. I bought my FMF Q4 slip on from my Kawasaki dealer for $269.44 with no freight. You might want to talk to your dealer. Even if you pay the same or a little more , it may win you points with the dealer in the long run. I suggest the FMF, dynojet kit, kouba FS-2 screw, and either put the KDX 250 snorkle on or just remove the snorkle. I did mine yesterday and am happy as ever. It really wakes the bike up. The FMF is louder than the stock muffler of course, but from what I've read, its the quietest on the market. My total outlay was $406.92 plus my 2 hours to install, but you won't believe the difference. The stock bike felt like a 100cc and it now feels like a real 250.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scallen
Congrats on the new purchase Feral Donkey. I bought my FMF Q4 slip on from my Kawasaki dealer for $269.44 with no freight. You might want to talk to your dealer. Even if you pay the same or a little more , it may win you points with the dealer in the long run. I suggest the FMF, dynojet kit, kouba FS-2 screw, and either put the KDX 250 snorkle on or just remove the snorkle. I did mine yesterday and am happy as ever. It really wakes the bike up. The FMF is louder than the stock muffler of course, but from what I've read, its the quietest on the market. My total outlay was $406.92 plus my 2 hours to install, but you won't believe the difference. The stock bike felt like a 100cc and it now feels like a real 250.
Awesome! That's good to hear. In a few weeks I'll start getting that stuff.

Quick Reply: Let's uncork this bad boy!