Let's talk chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Let's talk chain lube

Alright as some of you know I recently cleaned my chain, took out a link and re-oiled it with something the shop sold me for my O-ring chain. Well I no longer have an O-ring chain, and I think this oil/conditioner sucks. ( I know some of you are saying, "Is deej actually posting a thread that has something to do with bikes?" I know I've been waaaaaaaay to wacky lately, and I'm working on it. Anywho, I was wondering what you guys have found that gives the chain good lubrication with out slinging it all over the place. I talked this morning to a guy that has a son that races motocross, and he said the lube that they use doesn't do what mine is doing. You should see my wheel and tire, its covered in oil now. I keep trying to wipe off the "excess" oil and am getting frustrated with it. Is there a good lube that stays on the chain. Please no wax recommendations. Any thoughts?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Let's talk chain lube

I use Motorex Chain Cleaner and Lube for my street bike it works great does not fling everywhere.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

They make it for off road too (see pic)

Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I use 90 weight gear oil. One tiny drop on each o-ring and one drop on the roller of each link is all it takes. If you oil too much it will sling off, but keep it to those single tiny drops and that should do it with no or at least minimal fling.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree PJ1 is the stuff! everybody that I know here in the Golden State usesPJ1[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: suprakawigrl

They make it for off road too (see pic)

I use this stuff also, it only lasts for one ride but that's all you need anyway. We ride in very dusty conditions and the heavier oil type lubes collect to much dust. It's easy to apply just tilt the bike while on the kick stand so the rear tyre is off the ground put the bike in gear with the clutch in and spray as the wheel slowly rotates. It is best to spray the inside of the chain I've been told as the lube will get forced into the link as it goes around the sprocket that way.

Even when I put way to much on it doesn't seem to go everywhere, most of the excess drips onto the garage floor in the 1st few minutes.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

dude- i almost told you this yesterday when you were showing pics of your bike after you rode it to work. i too like a clean bike and i hate chain lube all over the rear wheel. here's what i think is the holy grail in chain lubes- it's simply PJ1 chain lube. i use it and it immediately adheres to the chain and does not drip AT ALL. wipe your chain down good, go ride it to heat it up and then come home and spray the PJ1 on it (you probably don't even need to heat it up). it will seal it up and it will also be lubed. kind of like a dry, lubed up chain. anyway, that's what i use and i'm kind of a clean freak like you.
I just got off the phone with the guy that has a son that races, and he said the same thing PJ1. Unfortunately I am impatient and don't want to pay for shipping or wait until the next time I get to the bike shop an hour and a half away. So here is what I did. As I got ready to head home to lunch I looked at the chain one more time, and one thing that was obvious is that I put 10 times the amount of lube that need to be. Nobrakes is right little is better. I decided to stop off at the local equipment rental/chainsaw/repair shop and the guy sold me a can of Maxima Racing Oils Synthetic Chain Guard. So I got home for lunch, an hour for lunch and I took off the chain, cleaned it again in gas, then in purple cleaner to get the gas off and then baked it in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes, then installed (with leather gloves) hot, hot, hot, back on the bike. While the chain was drying all of the moisture out I took off the lower chain guard and cleaned all of the junk that has been building since I bought the bike and reassembled it. Then installed the chain and oiled it, probably too much, but I wanted it in all of the new dry areas. After wiping all of the excess off I headed back to work. However coming to the first stop sign it was apparent that something was wrong, it seems that a spray or two had found its way over to the rear caliper and pads. A quick turn around and cleaned up with brake clean and I was golden. All in under an hour. Here are a few pictures already. I think its a lot better improvement. I will probably pick up some PJ1 soon to give it a try. Thanks guys. So this is what it feels like to start a thread about a problem and to get an answer? Hmmm I forgot how that worked.

Name:  100_5991.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  93.5 KB

Ha ha I just noticed the two coffee cans in the back ground, now that funny.

Name:  100_5990.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  86.2 KB

Here is the picture from before.

And now after, a lot cleaner, the spray is a clear formula.
Name:  100_5987.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  92.9 KB

Ahhhhhhhhhh That's better.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I use a similar product by the same company. It seems to keep the chain clean however it also feels a bit stiff when its cold.