Let's hear from the HELMET CAM users!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Let's hear from the HELMET CAM users!

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Here's the vid I took yesterday with a Canon Powershot SD630 mounted on my bars where my GPS usually is. This is just a little vacant lot near my house where I go to screw around when I don't have time for a real ride. Nothing too exciting here, I was just wondering how well a cheap camera on the bars would do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFuf8crQxGk
That's not too bad, picture-wise Brian, especially since it's with something that you already own. I already have a Casio EXLIM EX-Z50, 5.0 mega pixels. I'm curious as to how you "mounted on my bars where my GPS usually is". How? Got a photo? I'd like to try to duplicate your mounting for a trail on my bike with my EXLIM. Also, that was quite a impressive length of time thatyour camera was rolling... how did you provide the power to the camera?

.... and thanks for the input to the request for video.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:39 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

great video brian. the quality wasn't that bad. i've seen worse on youtube. considering that the camera wasn't designed for that i'd say it worked really well. oh to digress a bit...... i'd like to have your money too
Thanks guys - upon first upload it seemed to be a lot more shakey and vibey. I think maybe iMovie may have smoothed it out a little and the sound is not as horrible as I thought it might be. I did put a rubber band on the floating lense to help keep it from rattling around too much, I think that helped. Pictures soon, 002.

And just to reiterate also, I wish I had as much money as you guys think I have.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's my camera and mount - I mentioned the camera details above, and the mount is a RAM mount:

The handlebars are a pretty harsh environment - lots of vibration and hits from branches and stuff. The camera had several mud specs on it when I got back, luckily none were on the lens. If you ride with a buddy, roost could be a problem. And the camera is pretty fragile by comparison - I'm not sure how long it would survive mounted up there on a real ride exposed to all that. So while I think this can get you by in a pinch, for something more industrial strength, I'd recommend one of those purpose built indestructible and waterproof helmet cams.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:09 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 002197rp
Also, that was quite a impressive length of time that your camera was rolling... how did you provide the power to the camera?

.... and thanks for the input to the request for video.
That was just the regular battery. The total recording time was over 20 minutes, I edited it down to around 6 minutes or so. The battery lasts a good while on this camera which is surprising because is has a nice large LCD view screen. That was after not being recharged from Christmas photos of the family and quite a few photos before that even. And it has plenty of battery left. I'm pretty impressed with the battery life in this little camera.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:30 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Great stuff Brian. Hey Rod here is the picture of my camera mount and I threw on the GPS as well. I almost forgot about posting this until Nobrakes posted his. Here you go. And I also linked the video I took with it this last summer. I had to dig up the old Kodak out of the bottom of the closet, the battery door is broke and well its outdated. The new camera is the Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1 mega pixel.

Name:  BikecameraandGPS002.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  78.8 KB

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9103&hl=en

Old 12-29-2007, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Great stuff Brian. Hey Rod here is the picture of my camera mount and I threw on the GPS as well. I almost forgot about posting this until Nobrakes posted his. Here you go. And I also linked the video I took with it this last summer. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9103&hl=en
Hey Brian & Deej, Thanks for the close-ups of your bars, cameras and mounts.. A pic really sets the mind free from all the guessing, doesn't it? Don't know why I forgot about th RAM brand mounts, they are terrific!

What about the sound?... Deej yours was very adequate volume ... where do you place the mike if it isn't a part of the camera? Same question to Brian if you don't mind.

I agree, that if this is to be a permanent part of the bike accesories, and for the usual dirt that I'm in... sometimes literally!! Getting my soil sample don't you know? [:-]Use of the "made for it exclusively product" is the best way to go. Been looking at a new skid-lid, some new pants and a jersey.. price would beabout the same (or more), as getting the Cam-Corder like Ebay has and that has been discussed earlier.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

The mic is built in on the camera.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:29 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Same - built-in mic.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Same - built-in mic.
Thanks to both of you. Hmmm! Guess I'll have to look at my owners manual on the EXLIM EXZ-50... Don't think that it has a speaker/mike. I think that I'l buy the one on ebay.

Again, thanks for the comments and the pics.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 AM

I finally got around to messing with my xmas gift. hey - between family being here, 9 puppies (5 weeks old now), and it's been actually raining in GA ... I havent had the chance. This was my first and only (so far) at trying it out. I didnt take the KLX - but opted for one of my road bikes. The sound is crappy - i know - still learning this stuff.

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/sundancesvo/?action=view¤t=bonnie122907.flv

Quick Reply: Let's hear from the HELMET CAM users!