Let's hear from the HELMET CAM users!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Let's hear from the HELMET CAM users!

I'm dying to get me one of these Archos units:
http://www.archos.com

They started out as MP3 & Video players (way better than iPod in terms of audio/video support).
They also offer a helmet cam unit as well.

For just uner $300 USD you can get the Archos 405 with the camera included.
Not "cheap" per se, but a killer little unit.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

How about the Oregon Scientific Action Cam with 2GB SD Card for around $85 (Amazon)!

We use it at the Climbing School (with the 2GB SD card), not the greatest video quality but it's cheap and durable)

Full-function, hands-free, digital recording
Waterproof up to 3 meters and shock-resistant for extreme conditions
Mounts easily on helmets, handlebars, and other sports equipment
640 x 480 VGA resolution at 30 frames per second
USB and RCA cables included for easy playback on PC or TV (NTSC)
SD card expansion up to 2GB – onboard memory is 32MB
Operates with 2 AA batteries, not included
Dimensions: 4.25L x 1.75D x 2.25H (in.)

For some reviews go to: http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/re...on-Camera.html

Or, see the youtube review from GeekGirl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmAs6IzfxRk

Name:  ECOREAT18BLRB.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  6.7 KB

Old 12-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

How about the Oregon Scientific Action Cam with 2GB SD Card for around $85 (Amazon)!
I've seen footage from those and thought it was pretty horrible. And the built-in audio was just as bad. I guess you get what you pay for.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice klx250s_rider...I came across a similar product in the Kimpex online catalogue...I'll see if I can find it, but it was close to 300 maybe 400 bucks...found it it's called the VHOLDR..check out www.VHOLDR.com

In the meantime, I'll try to post the pic...
Name:  helmetcam.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  11.8 KB

Old 12-26-2007, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Brian, if I fell off my bike and broke a $500 to $900 camcorder I'd feel pretty horrible too especially going through credit counseling!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider
Brian, if I fell off my bike and broke a $500 to $900 camcorder I'd feel pretty horrible too especially going through credit counseling!
That's why the camcorder goes in the padded pack and the indestructible helmet cam thingy is the only thing that gets exposed. But yeah, I'd be pretty upset too. As of yet, I've not been able to justify the expense for a decent helmet cam setup. It would be neat, though. Cool way to share a ride instead of just stills.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is something like I was considering: http://www.helmetcamera.com/

There were others as well, but I thought that some one on our forummust be using somthing already.

Cost is relative... (I paid more for the Big Gun Complete system) ... have to keep a positive perspective on our favorite hobby. Right?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

.... And here's another on E-Bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOCOMM-DIGITAL-RECORDER-CAMERA-HELMET-CAM-MP3-DSR-100_W0QQitemZ370008677500QQihZ024QQcategoryZ34284Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is probably the "low end" of the cost scale for a complete system.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the Oregon Scientific ATC2K.. You want my honest opinion or the sales pitch?

Here is my evaluation:
Bought the camera thru Costco, (actually bought 2, my buddy at work has the membership and I tagged up to buy one too) It arrived as planned with the 2 gig card and all of the accesories. I decided to glue the mount to the side of my helmet using urethane adhesive, my buddy zip tyed his and it vibrated too much so that why I chose the glue method.
Overall the camera does what it claims to do, we have even stuck it underwater while catching fish from the boat! However you are all thinking "that damm Mole post photos and stuff where are his videos?" here is the drawback with the ATC2K, If you have Vista when you import the video you lose the audio portion of the recording, thus rendering the video useless. I have even tried to "dub" audio during the edit process which works however whe I try to upload to youtube it errors out.

Yes it does what it says it does, but they dont tell you about the Vista codec probelms, and tech support sucks! Oh and by the way you do have to "mod" the cam, If you dont put some foam over the mic input (whch is shaped like the reed area on a flute) you will get a whistle whe you are at speed.

$100 bucks, hell Im not broke, but I could have put that money towards the Clark tank!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:03 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Or you could just get a clamp mount for your digital camera like I have, I'll try and get a picture. Oh wait how am I going to take a picture of my camera mounted on the bike if the camera is....well.......mounted on the bike? I guess I'll have to dig up the Kodak camera and see if it still works. I even have a couple of videos somewhere I could post.

Quick Reply: Let's hear from the HELMET CAM users!