LED headlight for KLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:29 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Interesting. Man, those are some tiny fans. This is one of the reasons I was mentioning how the H4 design might not be the greatest adaptation for LED bulbs. I think I'd be more likely to buy a whole LED unit where the case, bulb, reflector, and such were designed from the ground up to work together. I'm curious how the existing headlight case and reflector work with the LED bulb when it was designed for a halogen/incandescent bulb. Not saying it doesn't work, just a question.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

well on those scooters I posted
both hid, and led looked exactly the same
and I mean had the same splatter using stock lens

but so much better then the stock bulbs

any of those in a projector housing would be super nice
but I hate projectors on a bike when you hit those sharp turns you loose a huge portion of the road
splatter is nice helps you still be able to see in a lean

for me 95% of my riding is daytime
so I like high beam hid for traffic to see me

Old 11-08-2013, 04:17 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
well on those scooters I posted
both hid, and led looked exactly the same
and I mean had the same splatter using stock lens

but so much better then the stock bulbs

any of those in a projector housing would be super nice
but I hate projectors on a bike when you hit those sharp turns you loose a huge portion of the road
splatter is nice helps you still be able to see in a lean

for me 95% of my riding is daytime
so I like high beam hid for traffic to see me
You touch on what might be an additional benefit of LEDs on those Baja race vehicles I was mentioning. The light bars can contain many and various style LED lights to give a wider array of coverage as compared to HIDs...especially as power draw becomes more critical. I was looking at the beam examples on the Rigid Industries site on their 4-lamp unit that could fit a motorcycle. I was also curious about the Squadron 4-lamp unit that Baja Designs has. I don't think any of them show how the light looks in a "lean", but even most standard motorcycle headlights change road coverage as you lean aggressively. I'm guessing as you suggest, the projector HID styles that I've seen in cars, don't do well in a lean...kinda makes sense.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

yes and the klx seems like it acts as a mini projector
its really well shaped even with hid
I was surprised with that
all my other hid bikes use round lens so I notice more splatter from those

Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok guys I put the LED bulb in today and just got back from a night ride. Here is what I found out. The bulb fits good , did have to take the fan off though. It does have a ballast like a HID but it is plug & play. When you go to high beam the low stays on to which is awesome. It is a lot brighter than the factory bulb. It lights up a much larger area on low beam. Here is the bad. High beam sucks but it isn't the bulbs fault. It's the factory reflector fault. So I can't say it's a better upgrade for hwy riding. But off road it's perfect since you get high & low together. So would I buy another one , my answer is no for the KLX. In another bike it would be great.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it possible that there aren't two beams just the intensity gets a boost for High which is why high beam sucks, the light is in the Low beam part of the reflector.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Is it possible that there aren't two beams just the intensity gets a boost for High which is why high beam sucks, the light is in the Low beam part of the reflector.
No the bulb has two LED's. One on top which is low beam and one on the bottom which is high beam. The bottom LED doesn't hit the reflecter very well. As a thought , I might make a shim to move the bulb back and down which will improve high beam. I'll mess with it and see if I can make it work better.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok I moved the bulb around and got to work a lot better. Had to move the bulb farther in & straighten it up. The LED's wasn't straight up and down so I fixed that too. Stil isn't as good as a HID but it works pretty good. It really gets the other drivers attention.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

friend has baja designs led setup on his ktm.. super bright but when it gets foggy it's not the hot setup, light is too white and too bright. He just follows someone else at that pt. Riding in the mt's the time you usually need your light is the same time the haze and clouds roll in. Has steered a few in our group away from leds and brighter lights. Led everyone out with my stock headlight a few times.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I was testing a 16w led light, I had baja designs dual 8" hid to compare it to. The last pic really shows how led lights pencil beam still isn't up to speed when up against hid lights.

Name:  a7b8c9d0bea399f726976a3ba878465e.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  424.9 KB

Name:  eac3cf13fbc6b2ad7dfde6ce8cadb9f9.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  408.0 KB

Name:  2dc884316d70c163acf56f15d024880d.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  349.2 KB

Name:  49dfe59f3639e061550c41eea228697a.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  283.4 KB