Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree
I wouldnt buy them either right now
but there great for bikes where hid's drain the battery at idle and low speeds
because there is no other way to get as bright of a light without using hid

and for me the instant on of the led isnt that big of deal

but you know how all this technology works, in 2 years it will either be the same price as we pay now for hid's
or at least have a lifetime warranty

there are some other led options ive seen just as bright, but they are more money too

Old 11-07-2013, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I didn't start this thread to start a war over HID vs LED. Both are great in their own ways , both have pro's & con's. I only asked if anybody was using LED headlight bulbs. Mine came in yesterday but I won't be able to put it in till later on.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

No one said this was a war, just expressing opinions both ways. In fact i did find that LED bulb on EBay from China for 50 a pair, so they are coming down.
One Pair 22W H4 8000K Cold White COB Chip LED Car Headlight Fog Lamp 1800LMS GGG | eBay

One Pair 22W 9005 4300K Warm White COB LED Car Headlight Fog Lamp 1800LMS GGG | eBay

Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bcwilliams
I didn't start this thread to start a war over HID vs LED. Both are great in their own ways , both have pro's & con's. I only asked if anybody was using LED headlight bulbs. Mine came in yesterday but I won't be able to put it in till later on.
Well, you did start a war, so the hate and dissent expressed here is all your fault.

But...of course I'm just kidding, and no one is hating on the issue. bc, it's common for other opinions and observations to be expressed within a thread that may have started in one direction but end up going in several others. Civility is usually the only requirement. I'm looking forward to seeing how your bulb experience works out. Since high quality LED's often require a somewhat sophisticated circuitry, I was curious how performance might be affected by having to fit in the standard H4 design package. Let us know.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't believe all this talk about the new fangled fancy schmancy headlights.

"My HID is better than your LED."

"No. My LED is better than your HID."

"NO! My HID is better."

All you guys should just wise up and use what I use. It's proven, effective, and doesn't need any of that electricity crap.

Ron

Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The heck with your headlight, Ron. I want to know more about the high tech front suspension. Is that a Race Tech or Moto Pro setup?

Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

the link to the led's I posted are basically a bulb
nothing hangs out the back but 2 wires

you have some drivers that power it remotely
as seen in this pic, but for this bike used 2 lights so twice as many parts
cut it in half for the klx

the ones circled in red
later found you dont need the fans provided as they were meant to mount on the actual bulb
I had assumed to the drivers as we had no instructions
but at the time there was no way to mount a fan to the bulb as the h4 does not allow this
and even if we could it just uses thick double face tape so I cant see how that would conduct any cooling to the bulb

Name:  0ae5310c-27a1-4a7a-9cf6-22752f3fc395_zps59499740.jpg
Views: 2684
Size:  3.09 MB

Originally Posted by TNC
Since high quality LED's often require a somewhat sophisticated circuitry, I was curious how performance might be affected by having to fit in the standard H4 design package. Let us know.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:01 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Mike, I'm no light or circuitry engineer, so bear with me. I thought most of the heat produce in an LED was in the circuitry of the bulb...drivers and such...rather than at the tip of the bulb. Of course we're talking about a fully contained, stand alone bulb. In your case the drivers and such are separate. I've not handled or worked with an LED setup like yours, but I have seen them...or something similar on the Baja race-type trucks at our annual events. Is the fan for the drivers or for the bulb? Now, I realize the heat produced by LED systems is miniscule compared to most other light systems, but apparently it is still a factor that has to be dealt with, especially in high output systems.

I thought this was an interesting source of info as far as LED heat is concerned.

Thermal management of high-power LEDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

no the fan was for the bulb
we later found the instructions
not sure if you will be able to see this image off the website

it shows the light with a built in heat sinc and what looks like the size for the fan to fit in

the bulbs we got have no heat sinc nowhere you can mount the 2 fans we got

so thats why it was on the driver, it has a large metal plate on it I assume to get rid of heat
so not knowing where to put the fans at that time I put one fan on top of 2 drivers side by side thats how small they are

The bulbs do get warm, but the bike they are on have exposed headlights so they let out all the heat
plus if they did come with fans on them, any water or rain would contact the fans probably burn them out
so may have been good we couldnt fit the fans on them

if you remember how h4's mount there is that large spring clamp over the back of them
a fan would be right in the way

Old 11-08-2013, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

now these look like you clamp the bulb, then screw on the fan?
so that may work

really thinking of buying a set of these
even though I dont have a use for them right now its such a good price

Quick Reply: LED headlight for KLX