LED headlight for KLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:42 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
If it's 60W, then there's no advantage to it over a regular bulb. If it's supposed to be 60W equivalent, yet is only like 20-30W, it could be worthwhile.

I would have a 35W HID in mine if I could find a place to put the ballast.

Rob
Maybe I'm missing the wattage issue mentioned here, but aren't we talking about the "draw" of the given bulb at 60W in this case rather than actual "brightness" or lumens or whatever illumination value you want to use? I could see a properly designed LED light system that pulled 60W being brighter than a 60W halogen bulb due to the low power requirements of quality LED's. I'm looking at wattage being how much power a given bulb requires to produce its designed maximum illumination rather than a prediction of how bright the light "could" be.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

bcwilliams, is this the one:
Motorcycle 1X1800LM H4 H L Beam 50W CREE LED Headlight Bulb Kawasaki | eBay

Doesn't shiip to Canada. Seller must have had a bad experience selling to Canuckistan.

My phone is smarter than me as well, doesn't take much.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
bcwilliams, is this the one:
Motorcycle 1X1800LM H4 H L Beam 50W CREE LED Headlight Bulb Kawasaki | eBay

Doesn't shiip to Canada. Seller must have had a bad experience selling to Canuckistan.

My phone is smarter than me as well, doesn't take much.
Yes that is the one. Thanks for sharing the link for me. I did order it this afternoon. Soon as I try it and see how it does then I will post about it.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I did the HID conversion on mine, nothing beats HID. I got an 8000k bulbs with the kit. The Ballast hides nicely under the front cover in front of the speedo. Every vehicle i own i converted to HID. My Subaru Forester, Ford F250 Diesel, Honda VTX1800S, Suzuki Vinson Atv, 70 Plymouth Cuda, even my ford 1510 tractor,lol and now my Klx. They are 30 bucks max on epay.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtnman
I did the HID conversion on mine, nothing beats HID. I got an 8000k bulbs with the kit. The Ballast hides nicely under the front cover in front of the speedo. Every vehicle i own i converted to HID. My Subaru Forester, Ford F250 Diesel, Honda VTX1800S, Suzuki Vinson Atv, 70 Plymouth Cuda, even my ford 1510 tractor,lol and now my Klx. They are 30 bucks max on epay.
HID lighting is very good, but I don't think you can make the blanket statement anymore that "nothing beats it". We had another "best headlight" thread just awhile back where I responded with a lengthy response as to how HID and LED off road lights are performing on the off road race trucks that run at our two annual races at our riding area where I live. LED technology has and is making leaps and bounds on a daily basis. For motorcycles especially, the low power draw and vibration resistance are a couple of the big benefits for quality lighting. While Baja race bikes may have modded stator wiring to produce huge power, most of our production dual sports don't have that level of output.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

actually there are alot of drop in led bulbs for this bike
its the standard H4 bulb
Ive tried one of those 60 or so led H4 even claimed to be high low
well low is just dim, high is bright
no real change in height

I also have used these led's (link below) on a bike with dual lights reason is because on that bike hid will drain the battery at idle
on the klx with one hid thats not an issue

low beam only, twice the price of hid and states only 1 yr warranty
my hids I use have lifetime
https://automationled.3dcartstores.c...KIT_p_138.html

exactly as bright as hid, with instant on

im using hid on my bike, high low
very nice I love them

Old 11-06-2013, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
HID lighting is very good, but I don't think you can make the blanket statement anymore that "nothing beats it". We had another "best headlight" thread just awhile back where I responded with a lengthy response as to how HID and LED off road lights are performing on the off road race trucks that run at our two annual races at our riding area where I live. LED technology has and is making leaps and bounds on a daily basis. For motorcycles especially, the low power draw and vibration resistance are a couple of the big benefits for quality lighting. While Baja race bikes may have modded stator wiring to produce huge power, most of our production dual sports don't have that level of output.
I have yet to see LED put out the same lumens as HID, and you Cant get all the different Kelvin factors on LED. I know LED is making leeps and bounds I am an addict for having the latest LED flashlight and buy them when they are first made available from China or Japan. I'm waiting for my new XML-U2 LED flashlight to arrive now. I hate hate hate yellow light, which is the main reason i went to HID. I have had no vibration problems in any cars or bikes and they are all abused daily, on and off road. I'm not on the Baja, so its moot. I stand by my statement, if one day i can get LED performance at 8000K for 30 bucks, i will look into it, for now I'll stick with HID

Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

these led come in 4500K https://automationled.3dcartstores.c...KIT_p_138.html
like I was saying just as bright as my hid's

here is a pic of 2 bikes
left has hid
right has the led's from the link above

looks exactly the same even in direct sun light

Name:  null_zpsd4150646.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  1.33 MB

Old 11-06-2013, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
these led come in 4500K https://automationled.3dcartstores.c...KIT_p_138.html
like I was saying just as bright as my hid's

here is a pic of 2 bikes
left has hid
right has the led's from the link above

looks exactly the same even in direct sun light

ok Maybe they are if you say so, but i can buy 4 HID kits in any Kelvin i want for the price of one of those bulbs, not a good deal for me. And if a bulb burns out for some reason, its 10 bucks, not 120

Last edited by mtnman; 11-06-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: LED headlight for KLX