Leaking oil out of right side

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to here about your problems. Seems to me that Kawa' may have pushed a little too hard to get the 09 model out early for the 08 market, and Japanese quality control is usually A1 IMO. You did enjoy the first 4K though, right?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I"ve always called it a valve cover... but since its OHC I guess rocker cover is a bit more accurate

Mine leaks around it, as well as around the oil cap. Not bad, just enough that the dust will stick to it. I wouldn't worry about it; every car I've ever seen has valve cover seapage. My 27 year old pickup did it, my 150,000mi '99 Accord does it. Just a fact of life. You could go through the effort of a new gasket and seal, but IMO, unless you're OCD, don't worry about it.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the dealer is ordering a new gasket and said its coming from overseas. They will also put on a new o-ring on the filler cap. Out here in California I am lucky enought to have the emission crbon can on the front right side of the motor that is held in place with a rubber strap which has already rotted and now broke off - they are ordering another one of those as well.

As far as OCD - if it was only a drip or two over a period of time - NO WORRIES, but this is a seeping action that made my engine look 20 years old after a few days and a hard montain adventure. I find that unacceptable at 5 months old and I am sure it will only get worse. I appreciate all the help this forum provides!!! A-1 stuff

Old 10-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Frickin morons at the shop.... when you put that gasket back on, you are supposed to use silicone all around those half moon pieces... im bettin there just wasnt enough used... thats a rubber reusable gasket.... and it shouldnt take that long... my parts took 4 days for the shop to get.... THATS BS... and i know about service BS.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

10,200 miles so far no problems......well unless you count the cam shaft/ACR and the timing chain adjuster.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Eric remember when your bike was in the shop for like 2 months? Good times.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

hey deej remember when...... k, i got nothing.... ya got me... lol..... and it was in the shop for close to 5 months. NOT GOOD TIMES.... not at all... makes me want to cry just thinking about it..... lol

Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Ive had plenty of new motorcycles, and cars, trucks, etc.. I had only two vehicles that leaked oil from the valve cover gasket, my old Honda XL600r and a piece of crap (I'm ashamed to say I bought) was a 1982 Shelby Charger. I took both back to the dealer/healer, and both valve cover gaskets were replaced under warranty. There is no reason your valve cover should be leaking. Bring it back to your Kawasaki dealer and tell them about the leak. It's not a big deal to replace it. I wouldn't wait long, valve cover gasket leaks don't heal themselves. Again, it's not a big deal, take it back to Kawasaki.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PeteNFla
Ive had plenty of new motorcycles, and cars, trucks, etc.. I had only two vehicles that leaked oil from the valve cover gasket, my old Honda XL600r and a piece of crap (I'm ashamed to say I bought) was a 1982 Shelby Charger. I took both back to the dealer/healer, and both valve cover gaskets were replaced under warranty. There is no reason your valve cover should be leaking. Bring it back to your Kawasaki dealer and tell them about the leak. It's not a big deal to replace it. I wouldn't wait long, valve cover gasket leaks don't heal themselves. Again, it's not a big deal, take it back to Kawasaki.
A local group is having a tech day and I'm going to check it out there. After the dynojet, kouba screw and full muzzy installation.

I'm going to open it up inspect the gasket. Is there a specific sealant I should use if it looks OK? Then I will make sure it's torqued shut correctly.

The ride on the way home should let me determine if I need to go to the dealer or not.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

this is what i have.... but black... just take the cover off, get all the old silcone off, then put just a little bit, dont wanna put too much on and have it go inside the motor..... expecially the corners or the half moons....

Quick Reply: Leaking oil out of right side