Leaking oil out of right side

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Leaking oil out of right side

After running some trails today I noticed I'm leaking oil (slowly) out of the two half moon shaped rubber seals on the top of the motor on the right side.

Should I be concerned? What causes this? How can I fix it?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Let the bike cool fully. Torque the rocker cover down to the right specs. Clean her up. She should be right. I'm sure she's just settling in.
I've had some oily marks there since she was new. I'm sure it's some kind of sealant, not oil.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Let the bike cool fully. Torque the rocker cover down to the right specs. Clean her up. She should be right. I'm sure she's just settling in.
I've had some oily marks there since she was new. I'm sure it's some kind of sealant, not oil.
I should mention it only happens when after I've run the bike. In other words, if it's been sitting for a few days (the horror!), it's very clean.

Not sure what the rocker cover is, or where it is, or what the torque spec is. I'll look it up and try that. Thanks.

Could this be a symptom of having put in too much oil?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't worry unless it becomes persistent or it starts to **** out.
Rocker cover is the part that covers the cam rockers and the cam. It's on top of the head.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I had the same problem but eventually quit.. I just assumed that it was a sealant like West Oz has mentioned.. Ive seen the same on valve covers on cars after replacing

Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Everything is still going through it's break in cycle. Everything from the factory is really tight. that is why you cant hammer on the engine so all the gaskets have time to kinda settle into there places. good luck. dont worry to much about it.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

If you had had the cam cover off to check valves, Kawasaki recommends some silicone sealer in that area before re-assy.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on this!! Make sure everything's tight or have the dealer check it. If you let the leak go, It may require more to fix. Or it may start to leak badly. I had many loose bolts on my '07 from the factory including Lower chain guide, Seat, Side covers, Shift lever + others. None on the engine were loose but I'd still check those rocker cover bolts.
Originally Posted by WestOzKLX

Old 09-03-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KAWASAKIspeed
Everything is still going through it's break in cycle. Everything from the factory is really tight. that is why you cant hammer on the engine so all the gaskets have time to kinda settle into there places. good luck. dont worry to much about it.
I got it with 1K miles, and just noticed this at 1500 or so miles. I don't believe this stuff to be sealer or grease lubricant. It looks and smells like the synthetic blend Motul I put in the motor. The bike is going to the dealer this week to check out this engine stutter I get at highway speeds. I don't care if the bike runs lean or not, I shouldn't have to deal with a motor cutting in and out intermittently like this. It's affecting the stability of the ride and it's a load of BS that it's normal.

Besides the stutter and the horrible seat, I'm loving this bike.

Last edited by je2000; 09-03-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

My 09 is leaking from the half-moon gaskets on the right side also. I took it in for 4,000 mile service without cleaning so they could see the mess for themselves and they said thay would order a new gasket. I called today (2 weeks later) and no gasket yet. Its to the point where my motor is a mess since I rode in the mountains this week. My oil filler cap is leaking as well and they checked it and it is tight. I saw read somewhere else that the cap needs a larger o ring.

No dang way I am happy with a new motor cover with oil - not at 4,000+ miles.

Last edited by jmulty; 10-22-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Leaking oil out of right side