L.E.D. turn signal issues / problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: L.E.D. turn signal issues / problem

:: Update ::

Well I finally picked up some basic diodes and have had no luck geting it to work so far. To solve the problem I finally just removed the dash turn signal bulb and left it a broken circuit. Turn signals work fine, I just no longer have a dash light. Something I can live with in the end, but I'm not to happy with the way Kawi chose to design this system.., that and the lack of a temp guage really annoys me.

But thanks for the help guys.

Maybe if my dealership ever gets me the wiring schematics I can look more into it, but for the time being I'm not interested in a dash light enough to take appart the harness and half the bike to figure out how everythings arranged.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I guess I'm confused here. I also had the fast blink and I added the relay in my post above and everything works now. What am I missing here?

Old 07-10-2006, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I replaced the relay, the blink 'rate' has been restored to normal. The issue I'm having is a voltage feedback across the shared turn signal indicator in the dash causing all 4 turn signals to flash at once, which essentially gives me hazerd lights.

Installing a diode to prevent the feedback was something I thought would fix the issue, but it does'nt seem to be doing the job. Either the diodes I'm using are'nt proper, or theres something I'm missing. Without the schematics or taking appart the bike I can't verify for myself how Kawi put it all together.

So.., to fix the issue for the time being, I simply removed the indicator light which breaks the circuit that was providing the feedback voltage, so now I have turn signals again, instead of hazard lights.

But.., for the time being, that also means I have no turn signal indicator light in the dash to tell me when the signals are on. Not that big of a deal as long as I pay attention to when I actually have my signals on or off. Worse case scenario.., I look like an idiot for 10 miles of backroads to people I'll likely never meet. :: chuckles ::

Old 07-10-2006, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Or somebody turns in front of you because they think you're actually turning when you're not...[]

Old 07-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Someone posted the required diode arrangement a while back somewhere, but I can't remember where nor remember the configuration. There was more than one diode per blinker, though, if I recall. Again, my memory is sketchy on this. Why not just pay the $7 and get it right?

Oh, and Deej, I suspect your fancy flasher unit has the required diodes built-in.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Why is everyone talking about diodes? Don't we all have the same bike? Is the difference Led versus the small regular bulbs? Maybe that's why I couldn't figure out why yours was different than what I did. I don't have the LED lamps, so forget everything I said thus far, I need to pay more attention to what I say and read stuff twice before commenting. LOL

Old 07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej
Is the difference Led versus the small regular bulbs?
Bingo. Led's draw milli-amps while our turn signal "small regular bulbs" draw 21 Watts each which is almost half a headlight! That's almost 2 Amps (2000 milliamps). With the LEDs, the current draw is so little, the bike thinks it's an open circuit and the bulb is burned out. Thus, things don't work quite right when you install LEDs without making a few other changes.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Roger that

Old 07-11-2006, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

The required diode circuit is painfully simple. Just go to rat shack and get two 1A diodes. Install them in series with the two wires that connect to one side of the indicator lamp such that current can flow from the turn signal bulbs to the indicator lamp but not back from the lamp to the bulbs.

If you google hard enough, I know the circuit is posted somewhere on either advrider.com or klr650.net

Old 07-11-2006, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats why I'm wanting to wait untill the dealership gets me the service manuals ( if they ever do, its been more then 3 weeks waiting on the Muzzy exhaust and books ).

My turn signal indicator light in the dash only has 2 wires total, positive and ground so to speak. Both wires disappear/merge into the harness on my bike and I've no idea where they go without cuting open the harness. I did'nt spend much time looking for them as I figured I could just run without the bulb for now untill I get an idea where those wires are going. It may be there are some butt connectors just out of sight that merge the 2 turn signal sides together, rather then spliting them directly at the bulb.