L.E.D. turn signal issues / problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default L.E.D. turn signal issues / problem

Hey all.

I recently bought 4 basic short stock LED turn signals and mounted them up in the stock locations. At first I just did the rears and the turn signals worked fine but had a rapid flash, but then did the front signals as well, and once I had 3 or more LED signals hooked up, I found that wether I turn on the right or left turn signals, that all flashed like hazard lights. The connections are secure, LED signals only work hooked up one way anyways, and no other wiring on the bike was changed.

At first I thought it was the relay, when the rapid flashing definitely was with the lower power draw, so I went out and replaced the relay which solved the rapid flash issue, but all 4 still flash like hazard lights now no matter wether I turn on the left or right signals. Also I notice the turn signal indicator in the guage cluster does'nt light up at all.

I'm still waiting for the service manuals to show up yet, so I have absolutely no wiring schematics or info on the bike.. [:@]

Does anyone have any info, ideas or suggestions?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.., this is very annoying when I can't legally ride over this.

Sincerely: Mike

Old 07-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: L.E.D. turn signal issues / problem

Someone here gave me a link to a relay I bought that just plugs right in to the stock relay plug and gives you 5 options, including the stock flash. It gets rid of the fast flash if you so desire. It might have been Todd or Marty, guys?

Old 07-06-2006, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I do have a straight plug in relay that got rid of the flash just fine. My problem now is that all 4 turn signals flash at the same time like hazard lights, and I'm unsure whats causing it. I have none of the electrical schematics to see how this system is even setup without taking every bit of it appart. I don't think its the relay at this point.., but I'm not sure what it is.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you got a 4 way flasher relay in there??

Old 07-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Sounds like what this is meant to solve:

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...F-81E1EB0EE659

I'm sure you can make these with a few parts from Radio Shack, but for $7, why bother?

Old 07-06-2006, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

This is what I installed and it has 4 or 5 different flashes including a nice slow stock flash, plugged it in and all is well again.

http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_...e_Rate_Flasher

Old 07-06-2006, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Bullseye NoBrakes!, thats exactly what I need!. As I mentioned, without the schematics I had no idea how they did the electrical system in this bike. I did'nt realize that they routed back across the indicator light, thats also why my indicator light would'nt be blinking.. Man I should have thought about it more. :: chuckles ::

My dealership still has'nt got in my service manuals yet, and I'm still waiting on my Muzzy exhaust as well. The muzzy is supposidly backordered and Muzzy has'nt even responded to the dealership at all save saying they will notify them when it ships out.

I don't know why my manuals are'nt here.., but I'm thinking about canceling the Muzzy and seeing what else I can get. Its just taking to long.

But thanks again NoBrakes!.. Hit right on the spot.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm All I did was to add the trick flasher unit and all is good, are those diodes like a resister or heater? I heard it's not good to add them in the system.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Diodes just allow current to flow in one direction. This does NOT add load which defeats one of the benefits of LED lighting.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

DING DING DING DING! We have a winner! Current across the dash indicator is the problem. Diodes are the cure. Easy circuit to build and install or you can buy that one from J&P.

Quick Reply: L.E.D. turn signal issues / problem