L@@king for New Black Plastics and Graphics

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default L@@king for New Black Plastics and Graphics

Do you have a link for some graphics ,and or some Black Plastics kit for the klx250...fenders rad shrouds..etc.. You could post .I haven't found any websites with aftermarket parts for my 2006 KLX250 ,besides the BG pipe. Thanks! Roscoe

Old 12-13-2006, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: L@@king for New Black Plastics and Graphics

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_38303/tm.htm

Old 12-13-2006, 02:43 PM

I know this has been covered before, but either I have missed something or whatever. Am I correct in assuming that the rear side panels available from Maier will NOT work on our bikes? As I recall, the right panel is just fine, but the left panel does not account for the battery & coolant resevoir (how do you spell that?).

I would love to find black side panels, but I don't think anyone offers them. I have been considering painting them or using background sheets from N-Style or something. I don't know if there is a single sheet big enough, though, and I don't want to have seems running down the middle of the panel.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea i have been thinking of painting the whites - black.... use a good paint, if i were gonna do it i would research alot of paints and coatings to see what would be best so as to scratch less easy... why couldnt it have been all green or green and black, white was not cool.....

Old 12-13-2006, 03:22 PM

A while back, someone (I think it was Deej) posted a link to 4Strokes.com where there is a wealth of info about motorcycle maintenance, modding, etc. On the top right corner of the page there are two articles that might be of interest. One shows how to paint your vinyl seat the other shows how to paint any of your plastics. Both are more involved than just hitting it with a few coats of good spray paint, but it doesn't look terribly involved.

Actually, the seat painting one looks pretty straightforward and only involved a few different components. I am pretty sure I am going to do this in the next week or so if the temperature stays high enough. The plastic painting one looks like it might require some special equipment. I did not read it in complete detail, but it is definitely more involved. A lot of the steps are geared specifically toward painting of a gas tank, though, so just paint guards might not be that big of a deal.

Anyway, if anyone has tried this process, I would like to hear some feedback on your assessment of the difficulty level to achieve good results.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i think gravy train painted his panels black.... wheres he at?

Old 12-13-2006, 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i think gravy train painted his panels black.... wheres he at?
Actually, GT used solid black vinyl decals to cover his panels. I couldn't remember for sure, so I just did a search for the thread where he discussed the process. I may end up going that way, but I really don't want to unless I just decide that doing a quality paint job is too much trouble.

I may check with XGX Racing to see what their price on a solid black side panel pre-cut section would be. I will report back on that.

Chris

Old 12-13-2006, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow I didn't realize you could paint your seat cover?

Where can we get black shrouds?

Old 12-13-2006, 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: markturbo

Wow I didn't realize you could paint your seat cover?

Where can we get black shrouds?
Mark, yeah I was surprised about the seat cover painting myself, but the guy writing the article said that this method is used by upholsterers to restore vinyl all the time. Evidently the trick is the bond promoter and lots and lots of very light coats. I am definitely going to do this if I can get it warm enough in my garage to properly cure the paint.

As for the black shrouds, I think the only options are to paint them, use decals for partial coverage, or figure out a source for DTracker parts. I don't know the hurdles to getting them from Japan, but they seem to be difficult to come by.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I am going to paint my shrouds...They sell an additive that you put into an automotive paint ,which keeps the paint very flexible and strong, they use this product to paint car and truck bumpers in the automotive industry.[8D]

Quick Reply: L@@king for New Black Plastics and Graphics