KX250F now has fuel injection, perhaps the KLX is not far behind?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Maybe it is time for a engine swap with of Kawi engines that already have FI installed.
Why on earth would anyone do THAT? It's still the same engine, just uses different method of metering the fuel.
The carbs work fine and are so cheep to re-jet to match what ever airbox/pipe/engine-size you happen to have. $50 in jets (less if you already have bit of a collection of jets) is all you need.
With FI you can do NOTHING before you fork out >$300 for a Power Commander.

For us "home tuners" carburetors are way more easy and economical to deal with.

The only real benefit I see from FI is its capability to correctly adapt to elevation changes.

--
Mikko

Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
Yamaha has FI on their dual sport 250 motor and they get 25 rear wheel hp stock. There is no reason why Kawi cannot do this.
At a $2500 price premium and a much more recent engine design.

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
What? You have conflicting statements above.

You say that you want the most basic system on a bike ( a carb ) but then you say FI on bikes is just an electric carb. FI really isn't that much more complicated than a carb. Besides, carbs really are not reliable. Yes you probably can't fix FI out in the woods, but the chances of it breaking are much less than a carb.
I said FI on a bike is basically a glorified electric carb. Please look up the definition of glorified. I was speaking in the manner of fuel delivery which in fact is just spraying fuel down the intake runner, which is basically what a carb does.

When i speak of the complications of FI i am talking about the extra electrical connections, the fuel managment computer, speed density sensors, electric fuel pump, high pressure fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, ect. ALL of which i have had break on cars that i have owned. I've never broken a carb though, but then again i've never owned a carbed vehicle besides my 51 ******.

A well tuned carb has little disadvatages? It can meter fuel well? Carbs are absolutely terrible at metering fuel. If you get one tuned for high range, then they are lean or rich somewhere else, it is almost impossible to get a carb adjusted across the whole RPM range. Carbs are so bad at metering fuel, that the factory has to lean them out as much as they can to where they barely run to meet emissions. And thats after installing smaller combustion chambers, air injection systems, catalytic converters, lame cams, etc. etc. Fuel Injection ( even just the simple throttle body ) is infinitely better and metering fuel. It can adjust all the way through the rpm range, it can adjust for temperature, and it can adjust for altitude. Plus, it meets emissions a whole lot easier meaning manufacturers can give them more power while meeting the same epa requirements. Not to mention the riding characteristics of FI, which feels way smoother and powerful.
Please see above post by TNC in regards to fuel metering ability and subsequent post about meeting emissions with carbs and the use of timing, cams and etc.

My 02 ninja is carbed, and i really don't feel any difference in riding characteristics between my bike, or my buddies' 08 and 09 6R. Sure the bikes have a few bhp more but its not the quantum leap you are describing, and i'm sure that has more to do with advancing engine design than fuel delivery.

There is a whole new world of exciting horsepower. A carb'd KLX makes 18 hp and 12 ft. lbs. of torque. An injected yamaha WR250 makes 26 hp and 14 ft. lbs. of torque. All while meeting the same EPA standards. Riding the two of them is like night and day.
Again at a $2500 price premium and probably a much more recent engine design which might use the same amount of fuel more efficiently than the ancient KLX engine allowing for more agressive timing, cams, etc etc etc.

Apple meet orange.

Last edited by wildcard; 09-13-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Finn, on the elevation issue, I was a bit amazed last month at the several high pass locations that my KLX250/300 ran so clean. It even idled on Imogene Pass at 13,114. Only on that pass could I detect a slightly rich condition about 200 yards from the summit...but nothing worrisome. These CV carbs are darned impressive in their altitude capabilities. I say this not as an argument to your statement but to give some kudos to the lowly CV carb. You are correct on the issue of a properly set up FI system dealing with altitude even more competently. A good computer, a good fuel map, and good sensors can provide some really good, clean performance.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Why on earth would anyone do THAT? It's still the same engine, just uses different method of metering the fuel.
The carbs work fine and are so cheep to re-jet to match what ever airbox/pipe/engine-size you happen to have. $50 in jets (less if you already have bit of a collection of jets) is all you need.
With FI you can do NOTHING before you fork out >$300 for a Power Commander.

For us "home tuners" carburetors are way more easy and economical to deal with.

The only real benefit I see from FI is its capability to correctly adapt to elevation changes.

--
Mikko

Mikko

How much tuning have you done on your 4runner? I bet none. And I bet that's because you know that it's been optimized from the factory for reliability, power, efficiency, and emissions.

Too bad they don't make it on a carb version with 80 less HP and worse mileage and the starting and warm up issues we used to deal with 30 years ago with automobiles. I mean too bad so you can tune the carb on it.

Now I'm being sarcastic but the point is you can't do better than a good FI system when you are talking about ICE.

I don't want to tune my carb. I want good fuel injection on my bike so I can just ride it and know it's been optimized for me. If FI technology wasn't available then I'd be satisfied with carbs. But it is, and I'm not.

Like I said I'm not letting motorcycle manufacturers off the hook they can give us what they give us in cars and at good prices.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KE100
Mikko

I don't want to tune my carb. I want good fuel injection on my bike so I can just ride it and know it's been optimized for me. If FI technology wasn't available then I'd be satisfied with carbs. But it is, and I'm not.

Like I said I'm not letting motorcycle manufacturers off the hook they can give us what they give us in cars and at good prices.
Ok sure, just don't remove any of the intake restrictions, change the exhaust, add any displacement or other wise increase the performance of your bike. Otherwise your will have to at least change the fuel map ($300 power commander or the like) and at most change the injector, fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

And i would really like to see some evidence of an engine producing 80 less HP when fitted with a carb compared to the same engine with FI.

Last edited by wildcard; 09-14-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, some of the same arguments that I have thought about. some bikes, take a reading and pop in a different main, alter the needle. FI, I am still learning, but it is pretty cool. Yes, I am a back yard mechanic. I carry a laptop for the FI stuff adjustments if needed at the track. Plug in a laptop takes less time then pulling the bowls or removing the rack to change out mains and adjust needles. Single carbed rides were pretty easy to change things out as well. 15 minutes, air density checks, temp, and carb reinstalled?

Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KE100
I don't want to tune my carb. I want good fuel injection on my bike so I can just ride it and know it's been optimized for me.
For that usage model FI is great. And electric vehicles are even better.

You are heading for a great future with more and more vehicles that are "perfectly optimized" by the manufacturer and there's nothing you could ever do to change any parameter more to your liking.

The 4Runner (my sig line is a sarcastic joke, in case I need to point that out, BTW) is a tool. I want it "optimized" for reliability and nothing else.
Bikes are toys, those I want to optimize for maximum grin factor with much less regard to emissions and fuel economy.
Factory probably has different priorities when deciding on the fuel map, that's why I like the flexibility of a carburetor on motorcycles.

--
Mikko

Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
If I recall, aren't these fuel injected bikes really just electric carbs. Meaning, there is no O2 sensor to sense and adjust the injection to maintain proper ratios? I've got a riding buddy that switched to an injected DRZ450 a couple years back and it doesn't have the same manners as a car with estart and an O2 sensor.
The Kawasaki KLX250 with FI does have an O2 sensor.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice to see all the experts weighing in

Putting FI on the KLX isn't going to give it any more power. FI doesn't make any more power than a carburetion. It's all about drivability, and emissions.

The FI used on bikes like this are not, as some people are calling them, electronic carbs. They would be basic throttle body injectors, with simple OBD1 type computers. Simple, but they work. The good thing is that they'd have MAP sensors, which often work well with mods, and being OBD 1, inlet air, and coolant temp sensors that can be manipulted to supply extra fuel if required (not likely). FI would be nice, but I don't think the bike would be much, if any differnt than a carbed KLX.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have to say, that it would be nice to ride from sea level to 6000 ft and to have the fuel/air mix automatically adjust. Just saying. Speaking of new bikes, whats the dealio with the 2011 bikes? Any word on them yet? FI or Carb?

Quick Reply: KX250F now has fuel injection, perhaps the KLX is not far behind?