Knowing Full Well The Stock Muffler is a Boat Anchor

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Default Knowing Full Well The Stock Muffler is a Boat Anchor

I know the stock muffler is not the lightest innovation in exhaust technology, but I'm wondering if we can get close to the same increase in performance just by changing out the head pipe?

White Brothers sells a head pipe for the KLX250/300 that looks good and is only $120.

I'm wondering if that, along with the 1st baffle drilled out will come close to the performance of the Muzzy system for about $250 less?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Knowing Full Well The Stock Muffler is a Boat Anchor

ORIGINAL: Marty

I know the stock muffler is not the lightest innovation in exhaust technology, but I'm wondering if we can get close to the same increase in performance just by changing out the head pipe?

White Brothers sells a head pipe for the KLX250/300 that looks good and is only $120.

I'm wondering if that, along with the 1st baffle drilled out will come close to the performance of the Muzzy system for about $250 less?

I was wondering the same thing? I think thats what i'm going to try first, and if I don't like it I can always get the muzzy or anther muffler later?

Old 04-26-2006, 05:13 PM

Jersey,

Alloway? Isn't that in South Jersey? Perhaps down south of Bellmawr? It's been awhile since moving away from that area, like 32 years ago, but it seems to me that Alloway is down close to Cape May.

Do you ride the Pine Barrens? There's and excellent article in this month's RoadRider magazine about that area.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes it is, It's right outside of bridgeton. I have rode in the pine's years ago but not lately. I'll be making a trip out there this summer I'm sure. there's alot more open fire road in the pine's then down here where I live. there alot of smaller trail down here.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

where did you live in Jersey and where do you live now?

Old 04-26-2006, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

It's worth a shot I guess but that OEM muffler is way constricted even with the first baffle drilled. Plus no way is it ever going to produce the sweet, sweet siren song of the Muzzy.

The reason the KLX300 benefits so much from just the headpipe is that it has no cat and a removable baffle core in the muffler.

Bite the bullet and wait out the Muzzy production que. It's well worth it.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

It's worth a shot I guess but that OEM muffler is way constricted even with the first baffle drilled. Plus no way is it ever going to produce the sweet, sweet siren song of the Muzzy.

The reason the KLX300 benefits so much from just the headpipe is that it has no cat and a removable baffle core in the muffler.

Bite the bullet and wait out the Muzzy production que. It's well worth it.

I agree with you... whait for the MUZZY.... way worth the $$$$ and time...

Old 04-26-2006, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: JERSEY

where did you live in Jersey and where do you live now?

I live in Florence, but now live in Florida.

We have the same straight roads that have sand and pine trees alongside them. The only differece is that we can ride these areas all year long!

No winters!

Old 04-26-2006, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

I think there are other mufflers out there that are readily available right now instead of waiting for the muzzy. a fsw headpipe and the fmf or other mufflers would be a good alternative for the person who doesn't want to wait on the muzzy. Just another route. I'm sure the other mufflers sound good as well.
I believe that pretty much every exhaust out there will sound close to the same. They are made to roar, so there might be subtle differences, but if your looking for the purr, I'm pretty sure all major aftermarket pipes will do that, and if your looking for power, well verbatim. If I put all the plates on mine its LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS!! I have 6 plates on it now, its still loud but not obnoxious, it had 13 plates on it. ANYTHING will be better then the stock exhaust!!

Quick Reply: Knowing Full Well The Stock Muffler is a Boat Anchor