Knobby front rear ds

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

EMS, I just finished wearing out the rear Parker on my KLX, and the front is still going strong. They are great tires. That front may be the best front tire I've used up to this point. It even got best DOT tire in class in the current issue of Dirt Rider magazine. I just replaced the rear with another Kenda Trakmaster. Frankly I don't see how a rear tire in the price range of the Trakmaster works so well and lasts so long...at least for me. The Parker Desert worked every bit as good and had great wear, but I get the same performance out of the Trakmaster rear. I did not like the Trakmaster front, and it didn't wear well with some side **** chunking. It's like the rear is a totally different tire compound and construction for some reason. The Parker is a little pricey compared to the Trakmaster, so I'm staying with the Parker in front and the TM in the rear.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
EMS, I just finished wearing out the rear Parker on my KLX, and the front is still going strong. They are great tires. That front may be the best front tire I've used up to this point. It even got best DOT tire in class in the current issue of Dirt Rider magazine. I just replaced the rear with another Kenda Trakmaster. Frankly I don't see how a rear tire in the price range of the Trakmaster works so well and lasts so long...at least for me. The Parker Desert worked every bit as good and had great wear, but I get the same performance out of the Trakmaster rear. I did not like the Trakmaster front, and it didn't wear well with some side **** chunking. It's like the rear is a totally different tire compound and construction for some reason. The Parker is a little pricey compared to the Trakmaster, so I'm staying with the Parker in front and the TM in the rear.
Great minds think alike. Thats the same reasons i run the same. I love the parker. Cant beat trakmaster traction for wear for price.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I think a lot of you are missing he is on the 17" motard wheels. This limits what you can run for a knobbie. The rear is easy to find the front is the issue. Anything aggressive is going to be almost to wide and make the bike steer like a tractor.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Try Kenda Big block. They come in 17"
Kenda - Big Block

Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cegusman
I think a lot of you are missing he is on the 17" motard wheels. This limits what you can run for a knobbie. The rear is easy to find the front is the issue. Anything aggressive is going to be almost to wide and make the bike steer like a tractor.
Yeah that's what I was about to say. I wasn't looking at kenda big blocks, more the tkc80 for the front. I'm keeping my rear distanzia, I like the traction i've been getting on the street.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Fun fact for you guys. The Parker tread pattern used to be called the Carlsbad K772. It died with the closing of the Carlsbad raceway. The good news is that all the office buildings built on top of the track look great now that they are half filled.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cegusman
I think a lot of you are missing he is on the 17" motard wheels. *This limits what you can run for a knobbie. The rear is easy to find the front is the issue. *Anything aggressive is going to be almost to wide and make the bike steer like a tractor.
Shinko offers 3 degrees of DS tires that will fit on front & rear 17" SF wheels:
-the 705 is an 80/20 tire in 4.60(f) & 5.10(r) widths
-the 700 is a 70/30 tire in 4.60(f) & 5.10(r) widths
-the 244 is a 50/50 tire in 3.00(f), 4.60(f) & 5.10(r) width

I have run several sets of 700s & one set of 705s. *The 705 is significantly more street oriented an is useless in mud, sand, or on grass, but is fine for *packed dirt & gravel.

The 700 is a decent compromise of pavement mileage with some competence off road into some gnarlier stuff.

Both the 700 & 705 are going to be a little heavy on the front which will weigh you down a bit off road when trying to cross obstacles, but let's face it, a 17" front isn't the best for this task anyway.

The 244 is a true DS knobby available in a narrower 3.00 size for the front which I have not tried myself but I have seen others who have. I think I will also try the 244s once my current 700s wear out.

Shinkos have proven to me to be a very serviceable tire for the KLXsf for the money and I am in no hurry to switch brands...

Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

You guys are missing the point of this thread hahaha, I know of the knobbies for my 17" supermoto. I was just inquiring of the street handling characteristics of a front 60/40 tire and a rear 90/10 tire (basically a slick)

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
You guys are missing the point of this thread...I was just inquiring of the street handling characteristics of a front 60/40 tire and a rear 90/10 tire (basically a slick)
In that case, running a 60/40 knobby along with a slick doesn't seem like a combo I'd be keen to try myself. *Seems like too drastic a mismatch that wouldn't serve you particularly well on or off road.

On the other hand, the KLX is mild-mannered enough that there is probably little risk of making the bike dangerous or 'unrideable' with your proposed tire combo, especially if you are as light a rider as you describe (1" chicken strips)...

Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, here in Vegas there are no twisties, it's all straight roads -sigh-

Quick Reply: Knobby front rear ds