klx450r

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Default klx450r

when does someone decide to step up to a 450? I've been riding my kdx200 for years now and am looking to upgrade from old faithful at this time. Although nervous about just what to buy, i have to say that that new klx450 is painfully tempting. I've never rode a bike that size but wonder when does someone decide to spend the $7300 even though they don't know if they'll like the bike? Can anyone help??

Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Default RE: klx450r

I have one on order. It will be street plated from the dealer. Just waiting for it to arrive.

Word today is Texas now has this bike in showrooms.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:55 PM

thanks for the responses. i agree the $7300 is outragious. forget about the money for a minute. my biggest concern (right now) is stepping up to a 450 size bike. isn't that a much different style of riding? i'm 37 yrs old, 5'8", 185 lbs. am i "big enough" for a bike like this? will i be able to move this thing around in the state forest? or is it simply going to kick my but all over the place? in my mind i'm afraid that the comparison from a kdx200 to a klx450 is like riding a pony to competing in a rodeo. am i wrong?

Old 04-11-2007, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I feel that if you're concerned about the difference between the two bikes, your intelligent enough not to ride over your head. Just be cause the bike has a greaterpower doesn't mean it's more dangerous. I think dangerous is underpowered or or too heavy. As long as you can get a strong foot on the ground to kick the bike back up when it stumbles you'll be fine.

Going fast has a drawback, it narrows your field of view.U mostlysee dust and flying stones. Going quick on the other hand is your goal and under your control. And that kind of riding will be enjoyed by all.

With a stronger bike it's a LITTLE QUICKER each time. While learning and understanding the safety issues.

That's my nickel.

Carl

Old 04-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I got my KTM 450 EXC just recently. I'd been bouncing back and forth between it and the Husky TE for some time, and after much research decided the KTM was the better bike for me, mostly due to three factors: 1) KTM's wide ratio transmission - gear down for the trails but still cruise at easy RPMs on the highway, 2) more aftermarket stuff for KTM, and 3) more KTM dealers nearby, nearest Husky dealer is 2 to 3 hours away from me. These are subjective and based on my personal preferences, either one is a solid, reliable, bike.

As far as moving up from the KLX, I could have been perfectly happy with the KLX331 + pumper carb that I had for a number of years, and I figured I'd upgrade eventually. But after visiting a KTM dealer and sitting on one, finding out that it is not too tall, and checking it over very closely I knew I must have it sooner rather than later.

Regarding price, while the KTM I got lists for $7998, my actual purchase price was several hundred dollars LESS than the $7300 mentioned above for the KLX450R. I doubt you'll be able to negotiate the KLX450R down much, being a brand new first year bike. I even heard that in Canada they are charging over MSRP due to the high demand. But my biggest beef against the KLX450R is not the price as that price is in line with the new WR's and other similar bikes, but rather that it is not street legal here in the US. One may or may not be able to get it plated depending on what state you live in, but even so, I didn't want to have to mess with that, especially when I can get the KTM for several hundress less and it is plated and ready to go right out the door.

After owning and riding the KTM for about a month, I'm very happy with my purchase and have no complaints. It's near perfect for the type of riding I do the most. It's power is very controllable - it won't send you off into oblivion at every throttle blip, but the power is there when you ask for it. That's just what I wanted. And if I ever feel the need, I can bump it up to a 525 or 540 very easily, but I don't see any reason to even consider that right now. Maybe in a few years if/when it needs a new top end. But I'd have no problem buying the KLX450R, but it just didn't suit my needs quite as closely as the KTM or Husky, i.e., street legal where I live.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 PM

thanks a great deal for all your input.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I got my KTM 450 EXC just recently. I'd been bouncing back and forth between it and the Husky TE for some time, and after much research decided the KTM was the better bike for me, mostly due to three factors: 1) KTM's wide ratio transmission - gear down for the trails but still cruise at easy RPMs on the highway, 2) more aftermarket stuff for KTM, and 3) more KTM dealers nearby, nearest Husky dealer is 2 to 3 hours away from me. These are subjective and based on my personal preferences, either one is a solid, reliable, bike.

As far as moving up from the KLX, I could have been perfectly happy with the KLX331 + pumper carb that I had for a number of years, and I figured I'd upgrade eventually. But after visiting a KTM dealer and sitting on one, finding out that it is not too tall, and checking it over very closely I knew I must have it sooner rather than later.

Regarding price, while the KTM I got lists for $7998, my actual purchase price was several hundred dollars LESS than the $7300 mentioned above for the KLX450R. I doubt you'll be able to negotiate the KLX450R down much, being a brand new first year bike. I even heard that in Canada they are charging over MSRP due to the high demand. But my biggest beef against the KLX450R is not the price as that price is in line with the new WR's and other similar bikes, but rather that it is not street legal here in the US. One may or may not be able to get it plated depending on what state you live in, but even so, I didn't want to have to mess with that, especially when I can get the KTM for several hundress less and it is plated and ready to go right out the door.

After owning and riding the KTM for about a month, I'm very happy with my purchase and have no complaints. It's near perfect for the type of riding I do the most. It's power is very controllable - it won't send you off into oblivion at every throttle blip, but the power is there when you ask for it. That's just what I wanted. And if I ever feel the need, I can bump it up to a 525 or 540 very easily, but I don't see any reason to even consider that right now. Maybe in a few years if/when it needs a new top end. But I'd have no problem buying the KLX450R, but it just didn't suit my needs quite as closely as the KTM or Husky, i.e., street legal where I live.
A good honest opinion, thanks