KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Latest MAP. Delkavic slip on with spark arrestor baffle, KDX snorkel, secondary throttle plate removed.
I probably won't be doing any tuning for a while.
I have the bike dialed fairly well, maybe a bit conservative (slightly rich), for now.
I have a **** ton of trails nearby for me and the kid to explore, bike feels good, wideband says it is pretty good, so I am done for a little while.
I will pick it back up later. I am expecting nice weather up hear in week or two. I will say again, bike seams to have picked up nicely in the midrange and the tune verifies.

Old 03-13-2022, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Fascinating phrase - " maybe a bit conservative (slightly rich), for now." - as it is absolutely correct, and indicates that you have an understanding of AFR burn rates and AFR's role in component protection.

I am curious what AFR range you have personally discerned as acceptable for WOT fueling ( as such a range is a personal determination - your range may not be the same as mine, or anyone else's) ..? Just curious as to " what you've come up with" regarding AFR knowledge..

I agree that, from your fueling table, you have unleashed the engine.. Now yank off the lid and recalibrate - for another leap in your power curves !... ?

Old 03-13-2022, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I am running mainly between 12.6 and 12.8 at 80% throttle to 100% throttle (targeting 12.8). I get a few dips where it reads rich, maybe down to 12.4. The sensor maybe a little lazy or the controller may be a tad slow. At 60% throttle was targeting 13.2 but it will vary from 12.9 to 13.4. Running 13.5ish across the lower throttle settings.

I will do some more tuning down the road and try the lid removed, but right now Plan A is to hit the trails. I plan to get a better WB controller with a brand new sensor for further tuning. Hard to tune out small blips and I don't want to chase my tail if it is the quality of the measurement. I am not done, just looking forward to riding. I will keep posting as I go. The other thing is I want to build a better harness for hooking the temporary gear up. More to come.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Very good ..
No idea about the "blip" thing, but assuming it is real - and reflected in actual fueling, 12.4 is nothing to worry about.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nigel
I am running mainly between 12.6 and 12.8 at 80% throttle to 100% throttle (targeting 12.8). I get a few dips where it reads rich, maybe down to 12.4. The sensor maybe a little lazy or the controller may be a tad slow. At 60% throttle was targeting 13.2 but it will vary from 12.9 to 13.4. Running 13.5ish across the lower throttle settings.

I will do some more tuning down the road and try the lid removed, but right now Plan A is to hit the trails. I plan to get a better WB controller with a brand new sensor for further tuning. Hard to tune out small blips and I don't want to chase my tail if it is the quality of the measurement. I am not done, just looking forward to riding. I will keep posting as I go. The other thing is I want to build a better harness for hooking the temporary gear up. More to come.
I like running with the lid on because it's quieter. The KDX snorkel is a little louder but it's a small concession to double the intake capacity.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Update. And I will test more stuff down the road like air box lid removed.
It is still kinda cool here, 40s and 50s on the good days.
I have few hours of trail riding with the mods (really sloppy, a little technical, not hard for old guy intermediate rider). Additional mods include 14/46 sprockets, D606 rear, MT21 front, IMS pegs, zeta offset risers and Renthal bars with much less sweep. I like my new setup.
Bike is a really nice trail bike (should come this way from Kawasaki), power is way better, the added midrange is really appreciated on the trails. The power delivery is nice with the PCFC map, runs flawless so far from off idle to 9K. I don't think I ever redline it, just making noise past 9K.
Thanks KLXSTER for helping me not overthink it, glad I yanked the secondary throttle plate.
Tooter, I recommend a PCFC and I will send you my map, it works well. I added a ton of fuel to the midrange/high throttle angle and that fuel is what will help with power, but more importantly long engine life.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nigel
Update. And I will test more stuff down the road like air box lid removed.
It is still kinda cool here, 40s and 50s on the good days.
I have few hours of trail riding with the mods (really sloppy, a little technical, not hard for old guy intermediate rider). Additional mods include 14/46 sprockets, D606 rear, MT21 front, IMS pegs, zeta offset risers and Renthal bars with much less sweep. I like my new setup.
Bike is a really nice trail bike (should come this way from Kawasaki), power is way better, the added midrange is really appreciated on the trails. The power delivery is nice with the PCFC map, runs flawless so far from off idle to 9K. I don't think I ever redline it, just making noise past 9K.
Thanks KLXSTER for helping me not overthink it, glad I yanked the secondary throttle plate.
Tooter, I recommend a PCFC and I will send you my map, it works well. I added a ton of fuel to the midrange/high throttle angle and that fuel is what will help with power, but more importantly long engine life.
Thanks so much for your kind offer, Nigel.
I do totally fine with the stock O2 sensor closed loop feedback system, because of how I ride and where I ride.

I live in the middle of a Canyon, so I'm totally surrounded by miles and miles of rural 2 lane mountain roads on which I rarely ride over 50 mph.

I totally agree on the secondary throttle delete. It's a real gamechanger. Now that my bike is all set up for low rpm torque, I'm planning on dyno testing it again. I know the chart will be missing that 7,000rpm "dip".

Old 04-01-2022, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
Thanks so much for your kind offer, Nigel.
I do totally fine with the stock O2 sensor closed loop feedback system, because of how I ride and where I ride.

I live in the middle of a Canyon, so I'm totally surrounded by miles and miles of rural 2 lane mountain roads on which I rarely ride over 50 mph.

I totally agree on the secondary throttle delete. It's a real gamechanger. Now that my bike is all set up for low rpm torque, I'm planning on dyno testing it again. I know the chart will be missing that 7,000rpm "dip".
Looking forward to see the dyno result.

Old 04-16-2022, 03:52 PM

I purchased a 2021 KLX300 in camo with the desire to ride on many trails and do some BDR routes. I wanted to keep the fuel mileage as high as possible but increase the power of the engine. My mods are a KX250 snorkel, Twin Air filter (25% more air flow), FMF Q4 slip-on exhaust and the EJK fuel controller. I did install a front sprocket with 13T (one tooth smaller than stock) to better ride slowly on technical terrain. This raised the engine rpm by 400rpm for the same previous speed with the stock 14T front sprocket. My fuel mileage has been as high as 72 mpg on very slow trails, to as little as 62 mpg when riding on the street at higher speeds.

My recent dyno results were 25.4hp @8k rpm with 17 ft/lbs of torque @ 7.7k rpm....not bad for no engine mods. Dirtbiker has a dyno run of a stock KLX300 on youtube and if I remember correctly was about 23hp with 15 ft/lbs of torque.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Globerider2002
I purchased a 2021 KLX300 in camo with the desire to ride on many trails and do some BDR routes. I wanted to keep the fuel mileage as high as possible but increase the power of the engine. My mods are a KX250 snorkel, Twin Air filter (25% more air flow), FMF Q4 slip-on exhaust and the EJK fuel controller. I did install a front sprocket with 13T (one tooth smaller than stock) to better ride slowly on technical terrain. This raised the engine rpm by 400rpm for the same previous speed with the stock 14T front sprocket. My fuel mileage has been as high as 72 mpg on very slow trails, to as little as 62 mpg when riding on the street at higher speeds.

My recent dyno results were 25.4hp @8k rpm with 17 ft/lbs of torque @ 7.7k rpm....not bad for no engine mods. Dirtbiker has a dyno run of a stock KLX300 on youtube and if I remember correctly was about 23hp with 15 ft/lbs of torque.
My dyno test didn't do as well as yours, 25.0 HP and 16.5 TQ. But it was with just a slip on exhaust as the only mod. Everything else was bone stock and no tuner.

Quick Reply: KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.