KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nigel
I don't know about peak on my bike, but midrange is UP
Talking about peak HP is sooo counterproductive - but it's all some peeps can wrap their heads around, so mentioning it helps them..
Your upper end power curves ( 8k - redline) are not going to get the radical boost you are seeing in the midrange - the Kawasaki tune pretty much does all that's possible in that range..

Only a lidless airbox can offer the possibility of elevated curves in the 8k - redline area.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:05 AM

For the tuning, I am using the dongle to do the o2 sensor delete. Something that is interesting that dynojet does not say a lot about, maybe due to emission regulations, is some of the PCFC tuners have an O2 sensor "tuning" feature. The euro PCFC I have has this feature, the US 300 dual sport PCFC does not. I may try it out. I think it simply biases the O2 sensor signal to make the closed portion richer or leaner. I plan to hook up the sensor signals before and after the PCFC to the logger to get an idea of what it is doing. I may then go ahead and run the factory O2 with the PCFC. I wish I knew more about the factory ECU, it would make it a little easier to implement this feature.
I removed the airbox only and was able to get at the butterfly retaining screw with a small ratchet driver and a screwdriver bit in a socket. I actually put a little pressure to tighten and loosen until it broke free. Was very careful with the force I used.
Thanks for the info. I would be interested to see what your findings are with and without the O2 sensor. I have the 300SM with US PCFC installed, STP removed and Yosh slip on.
Not sure if removing the throttle body or air cleaner is easier but I am glad I did the TBody because it was a bit dirty inside between the STP and throttle plate. The rubber duct between the Tbody and air box was also a bit dirty. And this is only after 2100 miles.

Old 02-24-2022, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about peak on my bike, but midrange is UP
The secondary throttle plate delete alone is a game changer.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by billp91311
Thanks for the info. I would be interested to see what your findings are with and without the O2 sensor. I have the 300SM with US PCFC installed, STP removed and Yosh slip on.
Not sure if removing the throttle body or air cleaner is easier but I am glad I did the TBody because it was a bit dirty inside between the STP and throttle plate. The rubber duct between the Tbody and air box was also a bit dirty. And this is only after 2100 miles.
I will post up anything I find out.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Talking about peak HP is sooo counterproductive - but it's all some peeps can wrap their heads around, so mentioning it helps them..
Your upper end power curves ( 8k - redline) are not going to get the radical boost you are seeing in the midrange - the Kawasaki tune pretty much does all that's possible in that range..

Only a lidless airbox can offer the possibility of elevated curves in the 8k - redline area.
My midrange was definitely helped.
7% more torque fattened up all through the range, with the peak lowered 500 rpm to 7,600 rpm.

I'm way more interested in low rpm torque than high rpm horsepower. Since the dyno test, I extended the total length of the exhaust pipe as far as it could go and still fit inside the muffler. This really enhanced low rpm torque down to just 3,000 rpm with no lugging.

I really need to dyno the bike again with all of the latest mods:

1. FMF MegaBomb Header
2. Iridium spark Plug
3. KLX Snorkel
4. PAIR Valve Delete
5. 25% Longer Exhaust Pipe (30" to 40")
6. Secondary Throttle Plate Delete
7. Primary Throttle Plate ECU Control Delete

.Trouble is finding time to do it being busy with work. But that's not a complaint. I have a small business which is immune to virus lunacy so I always have work.

Last edited by tooter; 02-24-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by greychinos
Crickets. That's because people that want a dual sport with more power get a DRZ or a real enduro bike, instead of turning their KLX into a moneypit for miniscule returns. There's no point in chasing horsepower with this platform; that's not the point, nor is it what this platform delivers. These bikes will never be "truly high performance".
I rode a DRZ400SM for 11 years and 35,000 miles. I like my KLX300SM WAY better.
Instead of chasing horsepower, I'm chasing low rpm torque with a wide variety of simple inexpensive mods.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

BTW, for those that understand the variables involved in EFI tuning, It has been previously determined that the stock injector on the newer EFI KLX250's is good-to-go for power levels up to approx 28 hp.

Assuming the KLX300 is running the same part, duty cycle is an issue to keep a close check on with a "fully uncorked" KLX300 during PCFC tuning.

Without DC monitoring capability, this will be seen as attempts to further richen the curve - or more likely a section of the curve - result in the WB O2 sensing that the AFR is NOT showing a corresponding reduction ( in the Lambda or AFR readout). In this, the injector is running at 100% duty cycle and is not able to supply any more fueling.

Last edited by Klxster; 02-25-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
BTW, for those that understand the variables involved in EFI tuning, It has been previously determined that the stock injector on the newer EFI KLX250's is good-to-go for power levels up to approx 28 hp.

Assuming the KLX300 is running the same part, duty cycle is an issue to keep a close check on with a "fully uncorked" KLX300 during PCFC tuning.

Without DC monitoring capability, this will be seen as attempts to further richen the curve - or more likely a section of the curve - result in the WB O2 sensing that the AFR is NOT showing a corresponding reduction ( in the Lambda or AFR readout). In this, the injector is running at 100% duty cycle and is not able to supply any more fueling.
That is good to know, I wish the PCFC had a data capture feature as the software displays dutycycle. Could be used on the dyno as you can keep a laptop hooked up. The box I am using can be configured to log duty cycle, I may have to check that out.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I do not expect DC to be a problem with your build.

As RPM increase, there is less and less time for an injector to supply the needed fuel for each combustion event ( and a injector has a cap on how much it can flow) - So, DC usually only a problem when you significantly raise the power curve in the upper end of the RPM range.

As expected - with the KLX300 and its' ECM controlled secondary being deleted - and as your current panel shows - there is a need for a radical increase in fueling during WOT ops over a large span of RPM.. DC could be a problem when a KLX300 is lidless with a full FMF exhaust system..

Old 03-12-2022, 03:34 PM

I read a thread on facebook about using the PCV 300R map for the PCFC 300sm. Dynojet has 1 for a slip on and one for a full system. As you know the 300R has no STP so it seems to be a good match. I loaded the slip on one and it runs great. Maybe something you want to try out.

Quick Reply: KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.