KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by greychinos
I'm not complaining about it, I'm just saying what it is. The bike is objectively slow. Whether its the right or the wrong bike for anybody, for that person, it is still objectively slow. I'm not sure why people get so triggered by that fact on here.
I'm not bothered by what is because I bought the right bike for me. Of all the bikes I've owned in the last 58 years, my KLX is the best one.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
I'm not bothered by what is because I bought the right bike for me. Of all the bikes I've owned in the last 58 years, my KLX is the best one.
Hey Tooter,

What settings are you using on your EJK? I think I have pretty much the same setup you do, aside from the bespoke muffler.

KDX snorkel, STP removed, PAIR removed, FMF MegaBomb, 14" Delkevic with spark arrestor installed and EJK.

TIA!
Dankly

Old 04-24-2023, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by danklyrides
Hey Tooter,

What settings are you using on your EJK? I think I have pretty much the same setup you do, aside from the bespoke muffler.

KDX snorkel, STP removed, PAIR removed, FMF MegaBomb, 14" Delkevic with spark arrestor installed and EJK.

TIA!
Dankly

I don't run any tuner, just the stock O2 sensor. Because I'm a transportation rider, the engine is rarely out ot closed loop operation. I not only run a chambered headpipe which has the torque increasing effect of a longer exhaust pipe, I also made the exhaust pipe even longer by extending length of the mid pipe 10 inches almost to the end of the muffler, without increasing the external length.

The result is a very short exhaust which is actually very long.

These two modifications drastically increase low rpm torque to the point that the engine rarely runs above 5,000 rpm. And surprizingly the exhaust sound is just barely louder than the stock muffler. They make the engine respond eagerly at low rpms without lugging. I live in a canyon, so I'm constantly crawling up steep narrow winding roads with the bike loaded down with tools and materials. You have no idea how much more user friendly this makes the bike to have so much torque available at such low rpms..

Last edited by tooter; 04-24-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I’ve done all these mods I got my Dino appointment beginning of May will post results. The only difference I’m running stock header with yosi slip on

Old 04-25-2023, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

These two modifications drastically increase low rpm torque to the point that the engine rarely runs above 5,000 rpm. And surprizingly the exhaust sound is just barely louder than the stock muffler. They make the engine respond eagerly at low rpms without lugging. I live in a canyon, so I'm constantly crawling up steep narrow winding roads with the bike loaded down with tools and materials. You have no idea how much more user friendly this makes the bike to have so much torque available at such low rpms..
When you say crawl, what speeds are we talking here? I say that because I honestly can't imagine owning this motorcycle and almost never exceeding 5,000 RPM even with this exhaust. In contrast, I virtually never ride under 5,000 RPM. Neither one is right or wrong, it's just a curious thing.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

When you say crawl, what speeds are we talking here? I say that because I honestly can't imagine owning this motorcycle and almost never exceeding 5,000 RPM even with this exhaust. In contrast, I virtually never ride under 5,000 RPM. Neither one is right or wrong, it's just a curious thing.
That's easy to explain,
We each have different uses.

The difference being riding a motorcycle for work and riding a motorcycle for play. Both are valid uses. I adapted mine to fit a specific purpose as a useful tool and it does that job very well. On the rural roads here, there is no speed limit over 50 mph which is 5,000 rpm in 6th gear. So the SM 14/37 road gears are just right.

Old 04-25-2023, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

That's easy to explain,
We each have different uses.

The difference being riding a motorcycle for work and riding a motorcycle for play. Both are valid uses. I adapted mine to fit a specific purpose as a useful tool and it does that job very well. On the rural roads here, there is no speed limit over 50 mph which is 5,000 rpm in 6th gear. So the SM 14/37 road gears are just right.
Do you up-shift through the gears at 5,000 RPM or less too?

Old 04-25-2023, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you up-shift through the gears at 5,000 RPM or less too?
Yes. It's not necessary to rev the engine any higher. This has more to do with where I ride than what I ride. I live in a rural area which does not belong to any city, where all the roads are winding, only two lane, and there are only 2 traffic lights. So there's no traffic except some on the main road through the canyon. There simply isn't any reason to ride any faster when the highest posted speed limit is 45 mph.

Old 04-25-2023, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes. It's not necessary to rev the engine any higher. This has more to do with where I ride than what I ride. I live in a rural area which does not belong to any city, where all the roads are winding, only two lane, and there are only 2 traffic lights. So there's no traffic except some on the main road through the canyon. There simply isn't any reason to ride any faster when the highest posted speed limit is 45 mph.
You ever just want to give the bike the 'ole Italian Tune-Up?

Old 04-25-2023, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX engine is not designed to make power at or below 5000 rpm. Its' power ramping STARTS at approx 5k rpm when the stock header is left in place.
The MCM cam retime mod does wonders for lower RPM power levels tho..

Last edited by Klxster; 04-25-2023 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.