KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I have worked thru the vid. Let me condense the Vid's information into sound bites.

1. As is usual for a stock engine, the stock fueling in the top end is extremely rich.

I know the propaganda that has infected the minds of millions is hard to fight, but try hard to realize that stock fueling is usually very rich in the upper 1/2 rpm range at WOT on stock bikes. Anyone that will not believe this fact unless they have the explanation for it, I can explain.

2. There is only one TOP performance airbox configuration - Lidless

3. The PCFC is the "goto" tuner for dyno tuning the KLX

4. His fueling for a lidless airbox is ( as usual ) incorrect. More power can be found with 12.6 - 12.8 : 1 instead of his 13.1 (plus).

5. Removal of the secondary throttle plate REQUIRES a complete refueling of, at least, the entire midrange operation of the engine. Without re-fueling, the top end will be fine and performance impressive, but the entire midrange will be extremely lean.

6. Significant performance improvement can be had on a stock bike by just removing the secondary throttle plate, the snorkel, and dyno tune with a PCFC.

7. With secondary throttle valve removed, a PCFC installed, a Barker exhaust system installed, a lidless airbox, and a dyno tune that provides 12.6 -12.8:1 for all WOT operations, the KLX300 will produce around 27hp and 18 lb ft TRQ ( SAE at the rear tire )

Last edited by Klxster; 04-13-2023 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
I have worked thru the vid. Let me condense the Vid's information into sound bites.

1. As is usual for a stock engine, the stock fueling in the top end is extremely rich.

I know the propaganda that has infected the minds of millions is hard to fight, but try hard to realize that stock fueling is usually very rich in the upper 1/2 rpm range at WOT on stock bikes. Anyone that will not believe this fact unless they have the explanation for it, I can explain.

2. There is only one TOP performance airbox configuration - Lidless

3. The PCFC is the "goto" tuner for dyno tuning the KLX

4. His fueling for a lidless airbox is ( as usual ) incorrect. More power can be found with 12.6 - 12.8 : 1 instead of his 13.1 (plus).

5. Removal of the secondary throttle plate REQUIRES a complete refueling of, at least, the entire midrange operation of the engine. Without re-fueling, the top end will be fine and performance impressive, but the entire midrange will be extremely lean.

6. Significant performance improvement can be had on a stock bike by just removing the secondary throttle plate, the snorkel, and dyno tune with a PCFC.

7. With secondary throttle valve removed, a PCFC installed, a Barker exhaust system installed, a lidless airbox, and a dyno tune that provides 12.6 -12.8:1 for all WOT operations, the KLX300 will approach 27hp and 18 lb ft TRQ ( SAE at the rear tire )

Nice Summary!

Old 04-21-2023, 07:44 PM
Default O2 question

Originally Posted by Nigel
Nice Summary!
In that video I posted , it got me thinking. If I was to put the 02 sensor back in. (After removing the delete resistor thing) would the ejk tune change for the good or for the bad? Because I noticed riding though the blue ridge mountains last week , the bike was soooo weak and smelled so rich at the highest parts of the ride , then once back down the mountain it ran like a raped ape, so I’m thinking the O2 sensor would have help changed the mixture for the good. But if I put it in now will I need bike Dyno tuned again to set ejk?

Last edited by JhHad2; 04-21-2023 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Without writing a novel on how ecm's utilize O2's, the answer is: Do not reactivate your O2 while you are running the EJK. And no, it would not have made a difference. You are tuned for your prevailing altitude, and the ambient pressure sensor can only do so much for leaning out AFR when at radically different altitudes than tuned for.

Old 04-21-2023, 09:50 PM
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Klxster
Without writing a novel on how ecm's utilize O2's, the answer is: Do not reactivate your O2 while you are running the EJK. And no, it would not have made a difference. You are tuned for your prevailing altitude, and the ambient pressure sensor can only do so much for leaning out AFR when at radically different altitudes than tuned for.
thank you for that info. That gives peace of mind. But hey! why don’t you just build us some plug and play tuned kits for our KLX300s lol

Old 04-21-2023, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JhHad2
thank you for that info. That gives peace of mind. But hey! why don’t you just build us some plug and play tuned kits for our KLX300s lol
A power commander has a ton more capability than the EJK, it can hold multiple tunes and has dials for adding or subtracting fuel for a given tune, now the tunes would have to be developed, but well within the realm for the motivated individual. The other thing is the EJK could be part of the problem with the altitude change, it can only make adjustment based rpm and injector pulse width and infers a change based on that. The power commander adjusts fueling based on rpm and throttle position, no ambiguity where fuel is being added or subtracted. Just some food for thought.

Old 04-22-2023, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by greychinos
Crickets. That's because people that want a dual sport with more power get a DRZ or a real enduro bike, instead of turning their KLX into a moneypit for miniscule returns. There's no point in chasing horsepower with this platform; that's not the point, nor is it what this platform delivers. These bikes will never be "truly high performance".
Performance is not the only criteria. I rode a DRZ400 for 9 years and over 35,000 miles, and the KLX is a FAR better bike overall. While the DRZ engine did have more brute force because "there's no replacement for displacement", It was clunky, bulky, and clumsy compared to the more refined nimble KLX.

And there's NO comparison to the weirdly gapped gear ratios of the DRZ 5 speed, (1-2 was a BIG gap, 2-3 was CLOSER than 3-4, and 4-5 was a BIG gap, God, I HATED that transmission! ) and the well placed progressively closer "sportbike" gear ratios of the KLX 6 speed. This ALONE makes the KLX a FAR more rider friendly bike.

As far as performance, all I did was basically put a pipe on it.

It dynoed 25 hp, and hit 95 mph indicated (91 actual) on the freeway. That's MORE than enough performance for my uses.

Last edited by tooter; 04-22-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
Performance is not the only criteria. I rode a DRZ400 for 9 years and over 35,000 miles, and the KLX is a FAR better bike overall. While the DRZ engine did have more brute force because "there's no replacement for displacement", It was clunky, bulky, and clumsy compared to the more refined nimble KLX.

And there's NO comparison to the weirdly gapped gear ratios of the DRZ 5 speed, (1-2 was a BIG gap, 2-3 was CLOSER than 3-4, and 4-5 was a BIG gap, God, I HATED that transmission! ) and the well placed progressively closer "sportbike" gear ratios of the KLX 6 speed. This ALONE makes the KLX a FAR more rider friendly bike.

As far as performance, all I did was basically put a pipe on it.

It dynoed 25 hp, and hit 95 mph indicated (91 actual) on the freeway. That's MORE than enough performance for my uses.
It's all relative. 25 HP, I'm sure you're aware, is on the very far "slow" end of the picture if we were to visualize a spectrum of all street motorcycles by performance. Performance isn't everything, sure, but 25 HP motorcycles are slower than the average car on the road. We have little to no passing power, we have no power up hills at speed. If it's more than enough performance for your uses then I'm not knocking that because that's up to you, but do understand that you are an outlier in that regard in the general motorcycling community that this is more than enough performance. These are some of the slowest bikes you can buy new.

Last edited by greychinos; 04-22-2023 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by greychinos
It's all relative. 25 HP, I'm sure you're aware, is on the very far "slow" end of the picture if we were to visualize a spectrum of all street motorcycles by performance. Performance isn't everything, sure, but 25 HP motorcycles are slower than the average car on the road. We have little to no passing power, we have no power up hills at speed. If it's more than enough performance for your uses then I'm not knocking that because that's up to you, but do understand that you are an outlier in that regard in the general motorcycling community that this is more than enough performance. These are some of the slowest bikes you can buy new.
Then your situation is obvious. You bought the wrong bike. Instead of complaining about it, why not simply sell it and buy one you'll be much happier riding? That's what I'd do if I felt the bike I bought wasn't fast enough for my liking.

KLX performance is more than lively enough with me on it, because it weighs 292 pounds and I weigh 138 pounds. The smaller the bike, the more rider weight becomes a performance consideration.

However you are correct. I am an outlier because I use my KLX for daily utility transportation in my business. And as a useful asset, it actually pays for itself over its service life rather than being a financial liability.

Last edited by tooter; 04-23-2023 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
Then your situation is obvious. You bought the wrong bike. Instead of complaining about it, why not simply sell it and buy one you'll be much happier riding? That's what I'd do if I felt the bike I bought wasn't fast enough for my liking.

KLX performance is more than lively enough with me on it, because it weighs 292 pounds and I weigh 138 pounds. The smaller the bike, the more rider weight becomes a performance consideration.

However you are correct. I am an outlier because I use my KLX for daily utility transportation in my business. And as a useful asset, it actually pays for itself over its service life rather than being a financial liability.
I'm not complaining about it, I'm just saying what it is. The bike is objectively slow. Whether its the right or the wrong bike for anybody, for that person, it is still objectively slow. I'm not sure why people get so triggered by that fact on here.

Quick Reply: KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.