KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

The blue line is the tune that I did using a wideband on the bike, It was too rich for best power. If you read through the thread you can follow the method and target AFR I used. Oldrider had my tune originally with a snorkel and a slip on. The dyno was able to refine for best power and hit best power at 13:1 vs the 12.8:1 AFR that I targeted (was a bit richer than that). That is the delta. As expected, the dyno shows that the dip in the torque curve is gone. Bike probably picked up 5hp over stock at 7K rpm, which is a substantial midrange gain on this small motor. Removing the secondary throttle has made a big difference. I don't expect much peak HP gain, but I personally was not looking for a bigger peak I wanted the midrange that kawi killed with the secondary throttle, probably for euro/epa noise or emissions requirements.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-17-2022 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nigel
The blue line is the tune that I did using a wideband on the bike, It was too rich for best power. If you read through the thread you can follow the method and target AFR I used. Oldrider had my tune originally with a snorkel and a slip on. The dyno was able to refine for best power and hit best power at 13:1 vs the 12.8:1 AFR that I targeted (was a bit richer than that). That is the delta. As expected, the dyno shows that the dip in the torque curve is gone. Bike probably picked up 5hp over stock at 7K rpm, which is a substantial midrange gain on this small motor. Removing the secondary throttle has made a big difference. I don't expect much peak HP gain, but I personally was not looking for a bigger peak I wanted the midrange that kawi killed with the secondary throttle, probably for euro/epa noise or emissions requirements.
Thank you

Old 07-17-2022, 11:10 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

@Nigel
"The blue line is the tune that I did using a wideband on the bike, It was too rich for best power. If you read through the thread you can follow the method and target AFR I used. Oldrider had my tune originally with a snorkel and a slip on. The dyno was able to refine for best power and hit best power at 13:1 vs the 12.8:1 AFR that I targeted (was a bit richer than that). That is the delta."

Yes, I started the read from the start and how you were going to send your program to Oldrider. Also noted his mods in June. I was not following the dyno refining though. Thanks, I need to learn dyno'ing better it seems.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

You are able to tune much more efficiently on the dyno and optimize the AFR for power. Doing through data logs while street riding is a little more tedious, results may vary. It is much appreciated that Oldrider went through the exercise.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Olderider
Here are pics of just the before and after curve and before and after fuel curve

Hey, we have similar style and color carpet!

Last edited by tooter; 07-18-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by tooter
Hey, we have similar style and color carpet!

lol you are funny. It’s the rug in my front room. 😁

Old 07-18-2022, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Guys, there is so much to know about dyno chart analysis, dyno tuning, dyno setup, and especially how to spot a tuner that is not 100% trustworthy..

Without going into a long explanation here, the blue power curve lines should be ignored on the above chart - they are, at the very least, suspect..
In a nutshell, the blue AFR vs Red AFR analysis and the run name on the blue data indicate that the blue power curves are suspect.

Unfortunately, this is quite "normal" .. From a business standpoint, the tuner is being paid to find "mo powah" so it is not in their best interest to show the "as delivered" power levels in the "best light" - and all of them know how to make subpar power levels... ( one easy method that looks legit to most customers - and likely done in this case - is to simply load up the bike on the dyno, make the first run (knowing that the engine head temp is not optimal) and use that run data as the baseline.. )

Old 07-18-2022, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

@Klxster so you're saying he got duped. Wonder what the real gain was then. I have to wonder, since the manipulated gain was exactly 1 lb-ft of torque, maybe when they had the overlay with an optimal baseline and the re-map together, if they saw the gain was a fraction of a lb-ft and went "oh no, we can't show the customer that", and re-did it to doctor it up. Hard to tell a customer they got a good value at the shop that day for not even a whole number.

Last edited by greychinos; 07-18-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

NO, HE DID NOT GET DUPED !

He got good fueling - nearly a perfect straight line on the AFR chart - varying between 12.9 and 13.2..........

All I am saying is the delta between the blue and red power curves should be taken with a grain of salt - that delta is not supported by the AFR chart delta, and the "run1" on the blue lines support the power curve delta to be suspect.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
NO, HE DID NOT GET DUPED !

He got good fueling - nearly a perfect straight line on the AFR chart - varying between 12.9 and 13.2..........

All I am saying is the delta between the blue and red power curves should be taken with a grain of salt - that delta is not supported by the AFR chart delta, and the "run1" on the blue lines support the power curve delta to be suspect.
I'm not saying he didn't get a successful tune, but if was told "you gained 2.5 HP and 1 TQ in the before and after", and then was shown the door with misleading information about gaining more than he really did, then yeah, he was duped into thinking he was provided more of a benefit than he actually was in reality.

Quick Reply: KLX300 - "Unmuzzled" Power Charts Needed.