KLX300 fork springs fit '09 KLX250S.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile KLX300 fork springs fit '09 KLX250S.

Gave it a shot and they fit fine. I got the Race-Tech .46KG, P/N: FRSP 3946. Diameter of the whole spring is the same, as far as I could tell but, they are about 2 inches longer than the stock springs. Even so, they weren't very hard to install. Also, the extra length did not cause any issues with the various cable lengths as I thought it might. Took the bike for a trip to the local dollar store and, she rides great, nowhere near the dive I got before. The springs were $93 at mawonline.com.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Did it change the ride height of the bike?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't know...I'd bet installing 2" longer springs that are not designed to work that way will make the proper spring preload way out of whack. I kind of doubt you'll ever get all your travel either. It's no wonder you didn't get the dive you had before. Did you remove any spacers or anything like that?...or just stuff the 300 springs in there?

I used some Race Tech springs for a 300 in my '06 250. They were 15mm shorter than the 250 springs, but the springs are designed for the same travel as my 250. Once proper spacing and preload are achieved, the springs work excellently. That's not the case with 11" springs stuffed into a 10" fork with no other issues addressed.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Newblud1775
Gave it a shot and they fit fine. I got the Race-Tech .46KG, P/N: FRSP 3946. Diameter of the whole spring is the same, as far as I could tell but, they are about 2 inches longer than the stock springs. Even so, they weren't very hard to install. Also, the extra length did not cause any issues with the various cable lengths as I thought it might. Took the bike for a trip to the local dollar store and, she rides great, nowhere near the dive I got before. The springs were $93 at mawonline.com.

I'm not sure why so many people get locked into Racetech like it's the only brand around.

Moto Pro has the specific spring length for the 09 KLX250S in any spring rate you want.

Glad to hear you THINK it worked-out, but 'just sayin.'

Not sure if the 09 uses spacers along with the shorter, stock springs, but if they're in there, I'd probably remove them before going to longer springs. As it stands now, you might bottom-out against the spring, which is not a good thing.

Last edited by tremor38; 06-01-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Newblood, there are two spacers inside the cartridge tubes that you need to remove if you are going to use the 300 springs. I went through the same thing, so I returned the RaceTechs and ordered MotoPros of the correct 09 length. I didn't want to go to the hassle of taking apart the cartridges. You can hear the spacers sliding in there if you take the shocks completely apart.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Newblood, there are two spacers inside the cartridge tubes that you need to remove if you are going to use the 300 springs. I went through the same thing, so I returned the RaceTechs and ordered MotoPros of the correct 09 length. I didn't want to go to the hassle of taking apart the cartridges. You can hear the spacers sliding in there if you take the shocks completely apart.
What is the benefit of the new springs? Is it just to stop (lessen?) the brake dive?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
I'm not sure why so many people get locked into Racetech like it's the only brand around.

Moto Pro has the specific spring length for the 09 KLX250S in any spring rate you want.

Glad to hear you THINK it worked-out, but 'just sayin.'

Not sure if the 09 uses spacers along with the shorter, stock springs, but if they're in there, I'd probably remove them before going to longer springs. As it stands now, you might bottom-out against the spring, which is not a good thing.
I have Race Tech fork springs but an Eibach rear spring. I was able to get Race Tech springs for close to half what the Moto Pro springs would have cost me and only had to make a pair of simple PVC spacers. That was an easy decision. Moto Pro's stuff is very good and is probably the best choice for an '09/'10. Otherwise I'll pretty much always go with RT and Eibach when I can.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miaugi
What is the benefit of the new springs? Is it just to stop (lessen?) the brake dive?
The stock fork and shock springs are quite soft. For anyone over about 175lbs that rides fairly hard it is worthwhile to increase the spring weight. This also reduces the amount of dive in the front end when braking. Kawasaki only makes one spring weight, so motopro has them made. Motopro seem to know more about the fact that the 09 KLX is different than the 07 models, so they seem to be the most popular, as they actually get you the correct spring length for the 09.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default spain

Greetings everyone!
I have an EFI klx250 one years and I've been looking for the fork springs. PRO MOTO I searched web but unfortunately have not found either. Someone has actually seen or bought these specific shorter springs for 2009/2010?
MOTO PRO ref?
Thank you very much. We have a problem with the fork springs.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
The stock fork and shock springs are quite soft. For anyone over about 175lbs that rides fairly hard it is worthwhile to increase the spring weight. This also reduces the amount of dive in the front end when braking. Kawasaki only makes one spring weight, so motopro has them made. Motopro seem to know more about the fact that the 09 KLX is different than the 07 models, so they seem to be the most popular, as they actually get you the correct spring length for the 09.
Well I'm certainly north of 175 and I do find the nose dive to be a as well. I will have to look into swapping out the springs sometime in the near future. Anything in particular that I have to know about before starting the job? And how will it affect ride height?

Quick Reply: KLX300 fork springs fit '09 KLX250S.