KLX300 Exhaust dBA

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX300 Exhaust dBA

Please read this in a frustrated, but comical voice.

Ok I'd like to start with the complete lack of respect for any of this Exhaust dB Meter Reading stuff. Maybe it is just me. But my opinion is that it is all bogus

Way back when dB reading on the new Big Gun exhaust. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26095

Big Gun system results: ~77dBA @ ~1200rpm and then ~96dBA @ ~8000rpm.

The KLX300 System results: ~80dBA @ ~1200rpm and then ~97dBA @ ~8000rpm.

To all of this I say "BS!" There are way too many variables to make this remotely accurate or helpful.

The KLX300 System is quiter, not louder.

If we took the BG data as accurate. Then if I could "throw out" the KLX300 data and just guess at the KLX300 results then the KLX300 results should look more like this: ~75dBA @ ~1200rpm and then ~90dBA @ ~8000rpm.

But That would be bogus too. Because it all changes under load.

The most accurate report is just to say that the Stock KLX250 is down right quite (a 2 on the scale). The BigGun is down right obnoxious (a 9 on the scale). That the KLX300 System is about a 6 on the scale.

That is wacky, but way more informative then the data.

Thanks for being patient with my rant

Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I definitely hope it's reasonable...I just bought one on eBay. Looking forward to it.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX300 system is reasonable.

Rush... As in 2112 or is there a different Rush

Old 03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
The KLX300 system is reasonable.

Rush... As in 2112 or is there a different Rush
That's the ONLY Rush there is!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

RUSH, as in Geddy, Alex and Neil...from the Great White North.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

"The most accurate report is just to say that the Stock KLX250 is down right quite (a 2 on the scale). The BigGun is down right obnoxious (a 9 on the scale). That the KLX300 System is about a 6 on the scale."

You've hit the nail on the head that there are too many variables to get a complete dB comparison for exaust levels. I think that is why there is a standardized test that uses the same criteria when getting the dB.
The SAE test standard that I used when I did a test using the stock pipe Vs my HMF slip-on, at least gives you a basic relationship of dB levels taken in the same way and it can be used by anyone and the results can be used when someone wants to decide how loud an exhaust they want in the scale of "quietest to loudest" based on the uniform test.
Maybe that will help?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

That's the ONLY Rush there is!
Agreed. I'll show my age and revile that Moving Pictures was my first concert and a teenager. I liked Rush before then, I just was not allowed to go the a concert until I was 14

Old guy alert!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

SAE test standard
Yea, I followed the spec's. But I was outdoors.
I think Temperature, Air density (read as humidity and pressure), and enviroment (hills walls, etc) and general outdoor noise. Bla blabla bla...

IMO -You need a lab - with good ventalation

Glad you were more successful than I was.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Well, going by what I know as of right now, I have had the stock system on my '09, then an FMF Q4 w/spark arrester, then a like new, 100 mile KLX300 muffler and headpipe. By far, the KLX300 pipe is louder than the new FMF Q4. Bad thing about the FMF is that it needs repacking (they say) every 40-50 hours. I am sure it'll go farther, but even 100 hours is a 2 week trip I am going to be on in June, so no go with that.

The bark on that KLX300 muffler is pretty loud. I am sure not as bad as a Big Gun, but loud nonetheless.

So, I am going to make a custom end-cap set-up with some Supertrapp 4" discs. That way, I can add or subtract discs to get the sound I want with the best flow. I know, compromises, but I can't go around pissing off neighbors at 3am, which is a time I ride frequently.

Barring any unforseen circumstances, the FMF Q4 slip-on will be for sale soon. A whopping 2 hours on it.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Rush - The bark on that KLX300 muffler is pretty loud. I am sure not as bad as a Big Gun, but loud nonetheless.
SlapDrum - The bark on that KLX300 muffler is pretty loud. I am sure not as bad as a Big Gun, but loud nonetheless.
The KLX300 can idle and have a low rpm that will allow you to come down the street without waking the dead. The Big Gun will not even idle quitely.

But you are correct, when you get on the KLX300 it will bark and make the bike go. It seemed the happy medium with no re-packing BS to deal with.

I am going to make a custom end-cap set-up with some Supertrapp 4" discs.
"They call you the working man..."
Cool. Show pics and report when done please.

Quick Reply: KLX300 Exhaust dBA