KLX300 Dual Sport mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

@Nigel Which Delkevic slip on do you have and how loud is it? I have an 18" full system on my street bike and it's virtually perfect on tone and low volume. I've been looking at the 14" stainless can for the spark arrestor and quiet core baffle. I have a fairly trick Pro Circuit reverse cone megaphone tail pipe that has the Supertrapp disc silencer tip, which I like and have on a KLX650, with an old rough looking aftermarket KLX300 head pipe (large diameter). Problem is it's gonna melt the turn signal if I use it., so I've considered the Delkevic full system.

Thanks for your and anyone else's experience with the Delkevic or other full exhausts that are under $400.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
@Nigel Which Delkevic slip on do you have and how loud is it? I have an 18" full system on my street bike and it's virtually perfect on tone and low volume. I've been looking at the 14" stainless can for the spark arrestor and quiet core baffle. I have a fairly trick Pro Circuit reverse cone megaphone tail pipe that has the Supertrapp disc silencer tip, which I like and have on a KLX650, with an old rough looking aftermarket KLX300 head pipe (large diameter). Problem is it's gonna melt the turn signal if I use it., so I've considered the Delkevic full system.

Thanks for your and anyone else's experience with the Delkevic or other full exhausts that are under $400.
I have the 14" carbon fiber slip on. I run the spark arrester baffle. Sound wise it is just right with the spark arrester. It is louder than stock but not obnoxious, certainly not loud enough to bother the neighbors.

Old 10-13-2023, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nigel
It is louder than stock but not obnoxious, certainly not loud enough to bother the neighbors.
That's the important part. Thanks for the information

Old 10-13-2023, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nigel
I have the 14" carbon fiber slip on. I run the spark arrester baffle. Sound wise it is just right with the spark arrester. It is louder than stock but not obnoxious, certainly not loud enough to bother the neighbors.
I ran the 8 inch Delkevic with the spark arrestor and found it to be too loud for my taste,
and I'm half deaf from working on helicopters in Vietnam.

Last edited by tooter; 10-13-2023 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

@tooter Thanks, that's why I am looking at the longer 14" can. The 18" can on my XSR with the baffle is only 86 dB at idle and around 96 dB at around 5000-6000 rpm. The "quieter core", which I already have would cut it more and it will fit the 14" can so I figure it should be fairly quiet if I did it. Problem I have with the Pro Circuit tailpipe is that it will blow on my turn signal, probably melting it. I am trying to make a shield or change out fenders to move the turn signal away from the exhaust a bit. If it doesn't work I will go with the Delkevic system.

The vintage Pro Circuit pipe looks a lot like my KLX650 pipe, can't find a picture of it so here is a picture of the 650 pipe

Both use the 4" Supertrapp disc setup on the end of the muffler tip. The pipe is actually a reverse cone with the muffler on the end and the Supertrapp discs on the muffler end.

Old 10-14-2023, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
@tooter Thanks, that's why I am looking at the longer 14" can. The 18" can on my XSR with the baffle is only 86 dB at idle and around 96 dB at around 5000-6000 rpm. The "quieter core", which I already have would cut it more and it will fit the 14" can so I figure it should be fairly quiet if I did it. Problem I have with the Pro Circuit tailpipe is that it will blow on my turn signal, probably melting it. I am trying to make a shield or change out fenders to move the turn signal away from the exhaust a bit. If it doesn't work I will go with the Delkevic system.

The vintage Pro Circuit pipe looks a lot like my KLX650 pipe, can't find a picture of it so here is a picture of the 650 pipe

Both use the 4" Supertrapp disc setup on the end of the muffler tip. The pipe is actually a reverse cone with the muffler on the end and the Supertrapp discs on the muffler end.

That's a really clever setup. The Supertrapp design is good because it's also an excellent approved spark arrestor.

I wasn't satisfied with the Delkevic so I made my own really short 7 inch muffler that's nearly as quiet as stock.

A billet cap with an internal cone smooths out the flow radially instead of banging into the concave Supertrapp end cap. This also softens the sound.

Old 10-14-2023, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I liked your setup and knowing that you only run a couple discs without a problem, so that made the Pro Circuit pipe an interesting option. Run maybe 4-6 discs since the 650 ran I think 12. But, like I said, knowing the stainless can like my street bike has will be the choice if I can't get the silencer issue settled..