KLX300 Dual Sport mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX300 Dual Sport mods

Thought I would post KLX300 dual sport experience so far.

Delkavic slip on, KDX snorkel, secondary throttle removed, PCFC tuned for combo.
Racetech gold valves front and rear, .46 kg/mm fork springs, 6.4 kg/mm rear spring. (185lb rider)
D606 rear tire, MT21 front.
IMS foot pegs.
Renthal bars (less sweep than stock) and off set riser.
14t front 46t rear sprockets.

I really like the KLX for trail riding with this set up. Has a lot more mid range, and I like the 46t rear sprocket.
A few weeks ago I hit some tree roots a little hard on a small up hill section, now I know some of this is rider, but the bike kicked hard and I went down, so hopefully the racetech stuff helps with this kind of terrain.

I was able to scan a number of old posts on the suspension, I don’t have a whole lot to add to the past info, but can answer questions. I probably fall between novice and intermediate as far as rider skill. Thanks to those that have offered up their experience, the previous info was really helpful in deciding to get the racetech stuff and with the installation.
I do a fair amount of NY trail riding and the handful of mods listed have each improved the KLX as a trail bike. Did first ride after the suspension, nothing super rough yet, suspension is an improvement. I need more seat time and gnarly terrain to really get an idea, but so far so good. Definitely noticed better feedback in the dirt, and it is not harsh on the square edge stuff.

Old 05-30-2022, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Can’t wait to hear more about your riding experience.
Did you do your own tuning map? Or did you just download the basic map from the pc and fine tune it yourself? I am going to get mine dyno tuned to get a better baseline map with mods ( will be exactly the same as yours) so I can be 100% sure it’s not running too rich or lean. If I can share the map I will.

Old 05-30-2022, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I tuned it myself. I set up a wideband and used an innovate ssi-4 plus to data log the wideband, tps, and rpm. I created a base map starting by looking at the percentage difference in power between the 300 and the 300r, then tuned from there. I posted most of the details in the unmuzzled thread.

Old 05-30-2022, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok cool. Can you share your map?

Old 05-30-2022, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

If you want to PM your email I can send it to you, can't attach it here.

Old 05-30-2022, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you 👍

Old 05-31-2022, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

It’s hard to find trails in upstate ny but they are around. I do a lot of tug hill and Camden area

Old 05-31-2022, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I ride some local stuff around the capitol district, have a couple places that are really measured in the 10s of miles. I don't really know any areas to "adventure" ride. May try to branch out, I ride with my kid who just started riding last summer. So as he continues to get better, will think about expanded rides.

Did some more riding with the race tech setup. Bike does feel more planted and is definitely more supple over the chop, while still being firm for the slow speed compression.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I went desert settings with my gold valves and springs. Loving the setting 4 years later

Old 05-31-2022, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Good to hear. When I went into the racetech calculator I chose trail riding, my weight and novice. I ended up using springs that were a little softer and their recommended valving. For now it feels pretty good.

Quick Reply: KLX300 Dual Sport mods