klx250sf air filter and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

So I was looking at the rear fender and using the original plate bracket. I looked at different ways to mount the bracket so make the plate higher up, I ended up deciding to just use the original holes because if I were to drill out new wholes and mount the bracket higher, I would have only gained maybe an inch higher... So I ended up trimming the edges off the plate bracket so that the plate completely covers it up and then I just reused the original mounting location. I trimmed the fender about a half an inch higher from the bottom of the plate. Right now I am currently waiting to find some decent turn signals for a good price so over the next week or so I will be checking out local motorcycle shops and see what they have for short stock signals. As of right now, I don't think the fender looks too bad with just minor work that didn't cost me anything :P

Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Same setup I'm sporting

Definitely a vast improvement over the nasty stock setup.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I just didn't think I could bring my self to spend $80 on something that I can just modify the original to be not much different haha

Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

i carefully cut the stock rear fender only leaving me a big enough flap to mount a little bracket for the license plate...perfect..

Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I like that, noticed that you have both the fmf and hmf in those pictures, hmf doesn't interfere with the turn signal?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 250sf09
I like that, noticed that you have both the fmf and hmf in those pictures, hmf doesn't interfere with the turn signal?
had the fmf q4, but wanted little louder...sold q4 to member here...bought hmf from member here...i didn't have blinker issues with 5,000 on q4

Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
had the fmf q4, but wanted little louder...sold q4 to member here...bought hmf from member here...i didn't have blinker issues with 5,000 on q4
I'm the purchases of the FMF... like I stated before its literally a one on one experience with the Q4 issues.

Were Ahnh666 didn't have any issues, I had just a few minor cosmetic issues with the same exhaust on my turn signals.

I fiddled with the exhaust as much as possible to insure its correct location, have done the smog delete, and also run the K&N filter as does Ahnh666... its kinda odd I know. I would even say my jetting is slightly rich just my judging my tail pipe soot buildup.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay cool, I'm still going to go with the FMF Q4 but may be delayed for a little for my purchase do to the fact of having to pay for school expenses for next semester but will be looking to get all the stuff I need throughout the winter!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think you're going to see melting right away. It's a long process. I started to notice mine get burnt after some really long slow rides in the hills during the summer. It got a little worse after some long summer rides later. The lights functioned fine, I just didn't like the look of one being brown and slightly melted. If you go with aftermarket turn-signals be mindful of DOT approved signals. I don't believe the smoked ones are. The ones I have aren't DOT because they're too close to the bike. But I like them snugged up and out of the way of the exhaust.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

i'm guessing outside temperature may also play a role...i ride in sf area which is relatively cool....also noticed fmf is located in socal, so i doubt it gets that hot down there either...the hmf was bit too loud when i first used it, but was much better after i shoving in extra muffler packing material inside..it's held on by rivets, so it was a minor hassle to do...

Last edited by ahnh666; 12-05-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: klx250sf air filter and other mods