KLX250s takes 1st place!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX250s takes 1st place!

I rode my very first Enduro on Saturday (Shelton Valley Beginers Enduro) in Shelton WA. I took 1st in the 250 class on the KLX! Mostly single track trials and lots of mud. I over inflated the tires so I kept washing out the front end when I got tired, which made things worse cause the KLX is a heavy bike to pick up.
I don't know if this is normal for Enduro's, but on the roll charts they have odometer resets which I though you were suposed to reset to 0. But they have you roll it forward a few tenths every now and then. Didn't make sence to me why, but it was a real pain cause you cant roll forward the ODO on the klx. Has any one had experiance with this?

Old 05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Never done an enduro, but congrats on the ride man!!! I always wondered how those roll charts worked....I use a GPS, but the roll charts are specific to an area or race or trail system. If you ever get out to Forks give me a call and we'll hit the trails and fire roads.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I've done 2 NJ Enduros on the KLX and I did not come anywhere near 1st lol.

Yea the roll charts are made for special odometers/computers that can be adjusted, not normal ones.

PS good job getting 1st!

Originally Posted by jsteele
I rode my very first Enduro on Saturday (Shelton Valley Beginers Enduro) in Shelton WA. I took 1st in the 250 class on the KLX! Mostly single track trials and lots of mud. I over inflated the tires so I kept washing out the front end when I got tired, which made things worse cause the KLX is a heavy bike to pick up.
I don't know if this is normal for Enduro's, but on the roll charts they have odometer resets which I though you were suposed to reset to 0. But they have you roll it forward a few tenths every now and then. Didn't make sence to me why, but it was a real pain cause you cant roll forward the ODO on the klx. Has any one had experiance with this?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice! I was planning to do that until my buddy talked me into going to Cap Forest instead. I should have done the enduro.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

and the klx wins again. glad you had fun, im entering my first race in nov., the famed lake elsinore grand prix.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the 1st place, that's impressive on the KLX. What kind of bikes were you up against?
I used a roll chart for the first time last year at the Bucky Dual sport ride in Madison WI. On that ride whenever you reached a re-set point, you zeroed out the trip odometer, the roll chart then started over at zero also. I thought the roll chart was pretty slick.
Dan

Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I rode sweep on the short course for Sunday's enduro. It was nice. I've been riding in this enduro series for about 8 years now and our OEM odometer is not the right tool for the job. You need an adjustable odometer like a trailtech and a stopwatch. You could always get really fancy and buy one of those enduro computers that the super fast guys use but that's not as much fun. In addition to being able to adjust your odometer at resets, you will also find that the guy that marked the course had an odometer that was either faster or slower than yours so you will constantly need to correct your mileage to match the known track mileposts. Your roll chart will give you a huge list of mileages and times and you will do your best to be at the proper mileage when the clock says you are supposed to be. It is the most fun you can have on a bike! Well, almost.

The resets are used to give you a rest. Resets are good but you don't really reset anything as much as advance your odometer. You will come up on a 3 mile reset during a 12 mph section and that gives you a nice 15 minute rest period to fuel up or to catch up if you are behind. The resets also allow for some timekeeping trickery like using up your "three for free" and having two checkpoints really close together where people will likely burn the second one.

So you actually won your class without having any idea what your mileage was? That was a trick. Good job.

I didn't see any KLXs there at Sunday's race. I parked next to a guy with a BMW dual sport though, it was pretty.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone,
I was in the 250 class, so name a 250 and it was there. It was a beginner race so I shouldn't brag too much, but It sure as hell felt good to see the results.
I've done the dual sport ride before too and we zeroed the ODO which makes way more sense than rolling it forward.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Going and having fun, then reading that you did great. Nothing better, go find the event photographer and get your pics!

Great job dude!

Harvey Mushmen 100! Good luck punk
The last adelantoe was fun

Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah Good job on 1st place. Hope you can get some pics (especialy one of you, your bike and your trophy(or ribbon)
Cheers Jim

Quick Reply: KLX250s takes 1st place!