KLX250S Storage Tote Replacement - GREAT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX250S Storage Tote Replacement - GREAT!

I recently replaced the storage tote on the back of my KLX250 with one that is about four times the size with a quick DIY project that cost me less than $20. Here's how.

1. Buy an Eddie Bauer Mini Duffel ($24 regular price, I got it on sale for $14).
2. Cut some cardboard or other stiff material to fit in the bottom of the mini duffel.
3. Drill holes in the cardboard and the bag that match the pattern of the fasteners in the stock tote.
4. Use the stock fasteners to attach the mini duffel.
5. Add a small piece of velcro to secure the rear of the duffel to the bike.

Now instead of just being able to fit just the toolkit in the tote, I can fit a change of clothes or my lunch. The mini duffel is also water resistant! The mini duffel measures 5.5" H X 11.25" W X 5.5" D. It fits perfectly on the back of the bike and looks great!

Certainly less expensive than most other options.

I have attached some pictures so you can see my work. It only took me about an hour to complete.

Attached Thumbnails KLX250S Storage Tote Replacement - GREAT!-img_1137.jpg   KLX250S Storage Tote Replacement - GREAT!-img_1138.jpg   KLX250S Storage Tote Replacement - GREAT!-img_1140.jpg   KLX250S Storage Tote Replacement - GREAT!-img_1141.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice !!

Old 08-22-2010, 04:00 AM

Stirfry that's awesome!

The little baggy thingy that Kawasaki gave us barely fits my phone, keys, wallet, etc. I think i see a mini duffel in my future..

Old 08-22-2010, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good.

I found using a cut up tupperware lid to be a good backing material. I think its PET plastic? Its strong and won't shatter so no bolt head will easily rip through it in an accident.

I did something similar but in a different place on my motard. I got a 6x9x3" kids canvas bag and bolted it up under the rear fender. It holds a spare innertube and some tools. Since the motard version runs shorter tires there's no way I can bottom my tire out on the bag.

I also moved my coolant to a baby bottle in front of a radiator so I freed up room for another small bag where the coolant tank was and that holds my other spare innertube. With a bicycle pump strapped to the frame, and tire irons in the airbox, I can never be stranded from a flat now.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

hey thats a pretty cool idea nice to see you have more space now i cant even fit my phone camera keys and or wallet in that thing let alone anything else

Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your great posts. I'll tell you honestly that the little baggie that came with the bike was the biggest complaint I had about the bike. I mean, the toolkit took up the whole thing! I looked all over the place for an aftermarket accessory, but they were either non-existent, goofy, or really expensive. There had to be a better way. Who knew the solution would be at Eddie Bauer for like $20. If anyone needs any more detailed pics or questions just let me know.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

To be fair, the stock 'baggie' thing is only meant to hold the tool set.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice job! Where did you buy the bag?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Thommo - You are right about the tote only intending to hold the tools. But I found that when I ride to work or up north to the cottage that I at least like to carry my lunch or a few bottles of water. I hated having to either load my jacket pockets or put on a full-size backpack, which can get hot in the summer.

Miaugi - The mini-duffel can be found at any Eddie Bauer store or you can order it online at eddiebauer.com. Right now they are on sale for $14.50.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice work. Really good size bag that goes well with the color of the bike and the dimensions of the fender. Nice all day bag that can carry the important stuff on a day trip without being some big "blob" on the back of the bike the bike. I've been relegated to cramming everything I can into a stock '06-'07 bag and bungie-cording a jug of gatorade to the rack. Kudos.

M

Quick Reply: KLX250S Storage Tote Replacement - GREAT!