KLX250S RPM issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 01:07 AM
Exclamation KLX250S RPM issue

Hey Guys, Need some help diagnosing an issue with my son's 2012 KLX250S. It starts & runs fine every time. However, when increasing throttle with clutch out, it doesn't seem to get past about 5K & just stops having power under load. Otherwise it'll drive fine. no backfiring, stalling, etc. Just has no power. With clutch pulled in or in neutral, rpms seem to increase as they should.

The background of how we got here... We started out by replacing a broken timing chain. I am like 99.9% sure that work is all ok. I made very sure the timing marks were lined up, rotated it to double check, etc. Pretty sure we're ok on that. However, it was apart for a while. When we initially got it back together, it wouldn't run correctly without choke. So we decided to do a carb rebuild. I used an All ***** carb rebuild kit which states that it uses stock jet sizes. Cleaned up inside real good. Bike started & ran better after this. Choke issue was gone. But when we went to ride it we noticed this problem.

What are the areas I want to look at here? Do I not have the carb tuned fully possibly. Something else entirely? No fuel filter or anything like that. But I did have to adjust the carb when putting it back together & not entirely sure we've got that right.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Your carb is messed up. Take it to a qualified mechanic.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:14 PM

Lol, no guy. The carb is not “messed up”. It was rebuilt exactly per the service manual. How does one become a “senior member” being such a tool?

Ive worked on cars & bikes my whole life. This bike type is new to me. What is the purpose of this forum?

Old 07-28-2021, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm trying to help you, it is a fueling problem and that is in the carb. You messed up. What else could it be?

How many CV carbs have you rebuilt?

Look, there are literally hundreds of carb threads here, try reading a few of the later ones.

Last edited by durielk; 07-29-2021 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Durielk may not be all "cuddles and warm-fuzzys" but we got nothin but love for him ..

Try reading my link on my signature line (below) to help you figure out what you f@#$d up during your carb rebuild.

Hey Durielk, how's that for a warm-fuzzy ..? ( And please don't cuss me out..)

Last edited by Klxster; 07-29-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no idea where my reputation came from or why, but everyone has the same feelings towards me. I'm trying to help the guy, I don't have a CV carb.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:18 PM

What don’t you see? You have a weird idea of helping. Telling me it’s messed up &
to go to a mechanic is in no way helpful. Not even a little. How did you believe that was helpful? I don’t need a Kawasaki forum for that. You added nothing useful at all. You just shamed me for trying to solve my own problem. If you don’t have the carb & can’t help, simply don’t respond. You chose to be a jerk.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I do think it's the carb. You still didn't answer my question and chose to attack me.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, @Phr0glegs , PM me ( Private Message at top right of web site.) for a little "red carpet" support on your problem.. I think you've earned it ! lol

Old 07-30-2021, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I have no idea where my reputation came from or why, but everyone has the same feelings towards me. I'm trying to help the guy, I don't have a CV carb.
Hey, no worries man - it's all good..
We all live in our own universes' - layered on top of each other, with a common foundation. Yours is just a little skewed - and such is recently becoming more and more common..

Last edited by Klxster; 07-30-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply: KLX250S RPM issue