Is the KLX250s right for me the noob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is the KLX250s right for me the noob?

ORIGINAL: jellyfish

Ok no flaming, Your are going to put on 40 pounds in one year? Are you going on steroids? LoL
uhhmmm no *shifty eyes*[sm=trust_me.gif](j/k) dang these smile faces are kinda cool...

Old 11-28-2006, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

my wife's bike is a good bike too, if I could get it started......GRRRRRRRR stinking cold weather. Even my bike being jetted and all it still took me 2 minutes to get it started.
Deej, try the winter plug... NGK CR7E (vs 8E - warm weather plug..) It might just be the ticket... ( I personally wouldnt know..YET..., its apparently still summer here.....[8D])

See pg 92 in da owners manual...

Old 11-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DirtSurfer

ORIGINAL: deej

my wife's bike is a good bike too, if I could get it started......GRRRRRRRR stinking cold weather. Even my bike being jetted and all it still took me 2 minutes to get it started.
Deej, try the winter plug... NGK CR7E (vs 8E - warm weather plug..) It might just be the ticket... ( I personally wouldnt know..YET..., its apparently still summer here.....[8D])

See pg 92 in da owners manual...

I'll look into that, I didn't know.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member

How this for a solution ... get the KLX for you and ride dads KLR to school? [8D]

You will find everyone here pretty friendly just don't talk about exhaust systems or dead horses

Cheers

Old 11-28-2006, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

unforunately i will have to also dish out 300-400 bucks for the "under-18" motorcycle registration course so I can get my bike liscense. Damn screwy Illinois[:@]

Rusty FJ,

Actually it's a pretty good law. We have a very similar law down here in Florida. Matter of fact, I'm one of those folks that teaches that course.

I'll even go out on a limb here and make you a personal bet. You will learn a whole lot about riding when you take that course. I know if you were in one of my classes, you certainly would.

Matter of fact, I have a KLX250S I use as one of my training bikes! Why do we use something like that? Simply because it is an excellent bike for a beginning rider. It is responsive, handles extremely well and is just a great all around bike.

Now, once you buy the KLX, will you let your Dad ride it sometimes too? As a person that not only owns a KLX250, but also a KLR650 - among other bikes - I know the difference between the two. I'll bet if Dad rides the KLX a time or two, he might be talked into swapping.

BTW, FYI the MSF course is transferrable between Florida and Illinois.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ok marty how much of an improvement is the KLX over that KLR for off-road riding?

Old 11-29-2006, 03:04 AM

A lot IMO. My dad has a KLR 250, I've rode it a bit but not near as much as Marty, so Ill let him split the hairs. But the KLX is a good attempt at a dirt bike made street legal. The KLR to me at least, feels like a street bike with just enough dirt bike to make it workable, but nothing great.

I hear you about the age problem, I learned to not reveal my age and its a habit I've kept since I started this whole internet thing a long time ago back. I let them respect me for what Im saying...

Old 11-29-2006, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IchWarriorMkII

A lot IMO. My dad has a KLR 250, I've rode it a bit but not near as much as Marty, so Ill let him split the hairs. But the KLX is a good attempt at a dirt bike made street legal. The KLR to me at least, feels like a street bike with just enough dirt bike to make it workable, but nothing great.

I hear you about the age problem, I learned to not reveal my age and its a habit I've kept since I started this whole internet thing a long time ago back. I let them respect me for what Im saying...
uhh thats good info to but i was talking about the 650 not the 250,lol

Old 11-29-2006, 07:02 AM
1st Gear Member

For your age, unless you are a linebacker I'd say stay away from the KLR650, its about double what you plan on weighing next year and has a huge fuel tank so its pretty top heavy. It can be ridden offroad, heck if you check out www.advrider.com there are tons of KLR riders over there (be warned the language can be pretty foul) and they take them everywhere, but it does have some serious heft compared to the KLX. If you wanted to have a casual trail ride it wouldn't be too bad but if you get into some sandy, deep mud or rutted stuff it would probably be challenging if not dangerous if you were alone. I've found that I should probably lower the KLX as when I get into a sticky situation I can only reach with my toes and the ***** of my feet at best so if it starts going over too much i have no choice but to kill it and set it down. Now if I was on the 650 I don't know that I could even hold it once it started to go over, it would probably me a lean, fall, get stuck under it ordeal.

But again, this is just from someone who looked at the KLX and KLR next to eachother in the showroom, never sat on or ridden the KLR.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member

doesnt seem that any1 covered the biggest factor... riders "need" for speed/torque (AKA pucker factor).... this is why i replied with my "test ride em". if your experienced with bigger bikes, chances are you wont be satisfied with the klx..... prob why mods are so prominent on this board. i know when i had mine delivered on a rollback to my house i was all excited and jumped right on it to take it for a ride.... lemme tell ya to be frank, the first time i rode it my thoughts were "i shoulda test rode the damn thing, its an absolute dog!!!". but in the end (i was stuck with it anyways) once it was broke in and the free/near free mods were completed it is barely enough to keep me happy (hopefully with pipe and other mods, ill get the pucker factor goin)

Quick Reply: Is the KLX250s right for me the noob?