KLX250S MX Racing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

You don't have to treat the bike like an old lady. That's just ridiculous. You can thrash it off-road and race it in some true MX events even. Once you start jumping this thing the subframe is going to break sooner or later. That's the least of what could happen with the bike after serious jumps.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Ignore the haters.
Ride the KLX, and enjoy it.
You'd think you were talking about a TW200, or something.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I know... I was so totally wrong. A KLX is as equally light, powerful, suspended, and MX track ergonomically friendly as its KX counterpart.

I have no idea at all what I was thinking.....especially since I've owned both.

donk me on the head.
Stop trolling Jason, His point was that no matter your ride, a true rider will find a way to have fun...

Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Ninja Edit:

I was just informed a bit ago that aparantly I was being rude or mean or whatever. Up until that last post I had no such intentions. My posts were meant in jest. I think that two posts ago that was pretty obviously when I used the word "kinky" in reference to the bike's toolbag. And my reference to removing the mirror in another post. Like a mirror has anything to do with performance.

Last edited by JasonFMX; 07-01-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Travis.........You gotta be dying over all this BS. Brings back fond memories huh?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

chill pills. all round. first round is on me.

summing up:

1) The klx isn't a serious* mx bike.
2) If you are too noob to know this, you are probably too noob to push it to the extent that it will break.
3) If you are pro enough to know this, but still take it on mx tracks, you must know what you are doing.
4) Trolling sucks **** biscuit.

*serious defined as formal competition/significant jumping.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I love when that grudge-match video comes up... that junk cracks me up every time I watch it. Only time I ever use my horn in the woods is to let the person in front of me know that I just ate it and they better come back for me.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

A few years ago a member on here went through MX'ing his KLX and detailed a lot of the changes he made to try and get it there, sdunne, I think it was. He pulled nearly everything off that made it a dual sport - headlight, tail light, signal lights, kickstand, rack, horn, etc. He replaced the shock and fork springs (I think) and worked on the suspension, but short of a full revalve, it just wasn't going to be up to the task. He did a few local races and did OK, and had fun doing it. I even went to one of them and met him, he was a cool guy and was having fun. But one minor fall that bent his radiator and he saw the price tag of something like $450 for just one side, and that was the kicker and he got rid of the KLX in preference for a YZ250F which is purpose built for MX instead of trying to turn the KLX dual sport into an MXer. The KLX was not made for it so it would have taken a whole lot more work on his part to make it so, plus repairs are expensive on the KLX, radiator is a good example. Have you priced plastics? They are through the roof, too, and trust me you will be replacing parts, racing is hard on bikes.

I guess it depends on how serious you are. If you just want to putt around the track on practice days for something fun or different to do, I'd say more power to ya. I've done that on my KTM EXC, it's a blast. [Speaking of which, I have some helmet cam of that, did I ever post that? Hmmm.] But if you want to try and compete seriously in local races, you're definitely using the wrong bike. Like someone else suggested, the best idea is to grab you a used 125 or 250F to flog on the track, and keep your KLX for trails and dual sporting.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok now that you've peaked our interest pony up that video.

Quick Reply: KLX250S MX Racing!