KLX250S MX Racing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I've raced before way back in the day but I wanted the KLX for a bike that did everything, from riding to work, to going to the MX track and racing in the beginner class.

Sure the bike wasnt made for it, but was a jeep honestly made for rock climbing? Theres tons of mods that you need to do before you get to that point. Thats where I am with my KLX, I'm just wondering if I should have bought a MX bike and then added some turn signals and a headlight to it, to make it street legal.

I'm not out to win the pro 250 class here guys, I'm just out to hit a few jumps and race with a few freinds that have never even raced before. Besides, its not the bike that wins the race, its the driver.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Just do it, and have fun.
I take mine out on the local mx track, and thrash it occasionally.
I just hope its real mx, and not one of those man made tracks.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

You might have better success at an enduro or harescramble event. If you wreck at a decent speed and/or height on the KLX, you're going to break something. On a true MX bike, you can roll it down a hill and it'll be fine.

It is true it's about the rider and not the bike, but if the very frame under the rider can't support what the rider is asking, that is a very serious flaw.

Go for it but keep an eye on the subframe, fork seals, bearings, etc.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are just putting around an MX track, you'll be fine, and some suspension enhancements will help. If you are actually going to race, plant on being dead last, and as long as you are OK with that, then enjoy it and have fun. There were very few MX races where I made it through an entire heat without wrecking or braking something on the bike. I wouldn't want to treat my KLX that way.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you would have been better getting the woods race bike, the KLX450, and putting the dualsport kit on it. If I'm not mistaken it shares the same frame/motor as the MX bike but it has a headlight and slightly different suspension. It'd be tons easier (and SAFER) to make that bike track-ready than attempting to do it with this bike. This is an awful pricey bike to have bought to destroy at the MX track, because that's the only outcome I see; a wadded-up KLX250.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Kids, come on now... I raced a 175 Kawasaki in MX in the early 70’s busted the frame clean in half. And of course in the early 90's I had 2 back surgery's, I am sure one had nothing to do with the other, get a used 125 moto cross bike and let it fly. You will hurt yourself on the klx and destroy your it in the process. It is the brilliant man that can learn from the mistakes of a common man....

Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have the budget to make this bike MX able... You would be farrrr better off to spend that money on a entire bike instead. It makes sense all the way around. I wouldn't want to buy a KLX250 from someone and be riding it on the ROAD after the guy used it like a KX. You WILL kill the bike on a MX track.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dont for get this mod before you jump

You'll thank me later.

BGB

Attached Thumbnails KLX250S MX Racing!-dscn1406.jpg   KLX250S MX Racing!-dscn1405.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
it may look like a dirtbike...but it is NOT a dirtbike. This bike is an old lady, you gotta treat her like one.
FAIL

i ride my bike as hard as most people that ride bikes in the dez, minus the huge jumps (to much debt to end up in the hospital). im trying to train to desert race at the end of the year and have done dual sport rides with big ktm thumpers and such, and im normally at the front of the pack. its the rider not the bike. a good rider can find the limits of the bike.

ivan tedesco whiping a xr650l, think he might put a horn on his race bike.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8b...sco-xr650_auto

Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I used to take the KDX on the MX track alot. It pretty much has the same frame as the KLX with minor differences like the bolted sub-frame. The KDX is alot lighter though. If you have your heart set on running the KLX on the track then just do your level best to lighten the bike up as much as possible. I'd also try to re-inforce the subframe with a better weld if anything. Some of the welds on these bikes are dubious at best. Good luck with it.

Mike

Quick Reply: KLX250S MX Racing!