KLX250S Driveability Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
If you want to ride from cold, I think your going to need another carb.
The start circuit on the stock carb is a tackon that works only at low rpm when the temps are moderate. If you put a bigger pilot jet in it, you are enriching the tuning across the throttle range from 0 to 100%. The Mikuni carbs have the similar start circuit (info from others) but they do have a accel pump, which would be a big help. Maybe you could install a manual butterfly in the intake from the airbox to the carb inlet?
An auto carb has a butterfly on the intake, even then they are not as smooth as FI. Why not get a FI engine? Sounds like you don't do much trail riding, I think you have the wrong bike.
I probably wouldn't give the 5 minute long warm up time of my 2009 a second thought, except my son's 2006 takes less than a minute to warm up, under the same conditions, before it has smooth throttle response. Then reading this thread I see the OP's also has this same condition with his 2009 also, I'm wondering if this is something unique to 2009 models? Not having taken the carbs off, I don't really know if they are any different?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Why not get a FI engine? Sounds like you don't do much trail riding, I think you have the wrong bike.
Excuse me?
I don't think purchasing a 2009 enduro basically brand new is expecting to much to be able to ride off within a minute of starting the bike.
Heck, I had a 1975 100 enduro that ran much better than this bike and I could take off almost instantly.......purchasing another engine is a ridiculous comment IMHO.
Not sure where your other two silly comments come from either.......what would you base that on?

Thanks for all the help....geez

Last edited by buerkletucson; 01-18-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mucky_Waters
I probably wouldn't give the 5 minute long warm up time of my 2009 a second thought, except my son's 2006 takes less than a minute to warm up, under the same conditions, before it has smooth throttle response. Then reading this thread I see the OP's also has this same condition with his 2009 also, I'm wondering if this is something unique to 2009 models? Not having taken the carbs off, I don't really know if they are any different?
I can ride mine on a chilly day (30F) after 30 seconds of warm up and it pulls along just fine.

buerk: just check with your dealer on the pilot if the dealer is close. You'll have to give a part number as they won't list a #38 for the KLX250. Search "pilot jets" in this thread: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...q-links-30733/

Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I can ride mine on a chilly day (30F) after 30 seconds of warm up and it pulls along just fine.
I assume by your signature that your talking about a 2006 klx, like my son's.
If so, that makes me wonder even more if this slow warm up issue doesn't have something to do with 2009 models?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

If so, that makes me wonder even more if this slow warm up issue doesn't have something to do with 2009 models?
I've got an 09 and didn't have any trouble with quick warm ups. Then after the Dyno jet all it took was half choke to start it, push it in, and drive off. (probably a bit rich @ that point though). Wish I could help ya, good luck.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, it's a 2006. It used to take a while to warm when I first got it (used, but stock). It would have to warm with choke for a good minute or two, then it would act lean for a while. After first mods of HMF slipon, dynojet kit (2206), unifilter, backed out the mix screw it never behaved that way again.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NDKLX'd
I've got an 09 and didn't have any trouble with quick warm ups. Then after the Dyno jet all it took was half choke to start it, push it in, and drive off. (probably a bit rich @ that point though). Wish I could help ya, good luck.
Thanks, That rules out that theory I guess. Maybe I'll take the carb off and give it a good cleaning.

Last edited by Mucky_Waters; 01-19-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, That rules that theory I guess. Maybe I'll take the carb off and give it a good cleaning.
Not sure if this was mentioned but since you have two klx's, you could swap the carbs to see if the problem follows or remains.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an 09 S , Two Brothers, N1TC needle, jet, cut open airbox, no smog, pilot out about 2 1/2 turns, drilled slide also. I start my bike by hitting the starter, then pull out choke slowly till she fires, then I leave the choke on full for a minute. If I just kill the choke it runs crappy and stalls until fully warm like your bike does. My trick is to play with the throttle a few times until I get the bike to rev up above 7-8K before I attempt to drive off. Sometimes it will stall out or require 1/2 choke to get it to rev up, but once it revs up it runs great and doesn't hesitate or stall at all.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NDKLX'd
Not sure if this was mentioned but since you have two klx's, you could swap the carbs to see if the problem follows or remains.
That is an excellent idea.

Quick Reply: KLX250S Driveability Issues