KLX250S and DR-Z400S

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I love my KLX but I'd bet you'd get used to the extra weight of the DRZ. Your arms would get stronger and it'd feel light after a while. I used to ride an MX360 when I weighed 110 Lbs. It threw me a round like a rag doll but it was fun.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah the height and weight are things you'll get used to. My dad throws around that DRZ 10x easier than I my KLX just because he's more experienced and a bit stronger. Like I said before, had I learned to ride a couple years ago, the DRZ is what I would have bought last summer, but for a first bike with room to grow on, you can't beat the KLX.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

the DRZS is not much heavier than the '09 KLX, if at all. I had a DRZSM between KLX's, and I couldn't feel any of the weight tbh and I'm around 150. Had the DRZ been updated in the styling dept. and had a 6th gear, I'd a kept it and got some dirt wheels/tires off an S or an E which bolt right on. The DRZ is a bigger bike all over, but weight isn't that much different. The '09 is stated at 277lbs. by Kawi.

edit: Looks like Suzuki has got newer scales as the website states 317 and 321lbs. respectively for the S and SM DRZ. It used to rate the SM at 296. That difference is significant on paper, but like I said, I couldn't really tell all that much. The KLX is smaller though which makes it easier to ride everywhere.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

If you want the power/lightweight/suspension/handling... You just gotta spend the money.. Most KTM's fit the bill, especially 6 gear ones.. Not only the fact that with 13/51 gearing mine idles doing about 100 kms/hr... with the original 15/45 gearing it was scarry scarry fast, couldn't wind it out on a straight dirt road. No speed problems here.
If you want it all... KTM/Husaberg/Husky/Gasgas.
mmmm you guys check out the new 09 husaberg fe450's and 570's?... Pretty amazing bike.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
the DRZS is not much heavier than the '09 KLX, if at all.
I find it strange that almost everyone on here reports the DRZ being Large and heavy feeling... all except you. One thing you should consider when giving people advice, is that you had the SM, which has 17" wheels, lower to the ground than the S, and you would have had much less to deal with as opposed to driving around countless obstacles, and the only line you needed to pick from was 1, straight ahead. Is the suspension set up different on the SM as well, from the S?
....Wait I know that, yes.. THe SM has inverted forks.

Last edited by green242; 01-12-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

And let us not forget seat height. Yes it is something that can be overcome with experience, but there is a big difference and it can't be discounted. The KLX is something like 34 or 35, and the DRZ is 40. If you're in the tight stuff, on and off the throttle and playing with the clutch, its gonna be hell if you're not 6 foot or long-legged. Another reason I went with the KLX; I can put the ***** of my feet on the ground, or lean it one side and easily flat-foot it. I can't do either on my dad's DRZ.

I don't question your claims about how the two bikes "feel" 09KLX, but the 400S weighs significantly more than the KLX. ~40 pounds based on manufacturer's claims. I've never sat on an SM so I really don't know what to say on that, but having sat on both bikes one right after the other, there is a noticeable weight difference. I haven't ridden his DRZ on the trails, so I couldn't comment on that aspect.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

From what I have heard, the DRZ is

"the drz is a heavy dinosaur that's all out of whack. it's hard to consider it a dirt bike "

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_54780/tm.htm

" I rode my uncle's friends DRZ-400 last summer. I am an ex- mxer and rode this 400. I can't tell you how disappointed I was. The bike WOULDN'T EVEN WHEELIE! I weigh in at 155 lbs, 5'7" and I was clutching the crap out of it. I GUARANTEE that my KLX would stomp it in any race but a full on top end rush or drag race, but it may keep up with it with mods on top end as I had my KLX at 95 mph this weekend on the way home- I do not recommend it though. The 400 obviously has more torque but the thing is a boat anchor and it's susp. parts date back to the '80's. The 400 is not a better bike, let alone head and shoulders a better bike. the KLX is so far ahead of the 400 in styling, technology, and versatility it's not really worth mentioning the two together. The KLX is so agile while the 400 is a hog and can't get out of it's own way. I'll admit the KLX is a pooch in stock form, but with a pipe and the free mods along with a couple jets the thing flat out rocks."

"no, that's cool to disagree. I just think imo, that the 400 is old fashioned, obviously not as versatile as the KLX. with my mods I know that I could easily keep up with you anywhere if your 400 is stock. the one i rode was all stock and like i said, being an ex mxer i couldn't get it to pull a wheelie at all. i was surprised. my KLX will go over backwards right now in 2nd if im not careful. it is a wheelie machine, with the clutch im talking. it will bring it up in first but with a little help without the clutch. i looked at the 400, but no upside down forks, heavy weight, and no street legality deleted it from my list."

"what i meant was with my modded KLX, it will keep up with a stock 400 i guarantee it. i've ridden both and my KLX rips right now. the article you mention, i didn't even read it cuz i could care, but if some dude says that the old hat DRZ 400 with conventional shocks and 300 lb weight is better than the new Huskys he's smoking crack. now that's laughable. take a look at the new husky dual purpose bikes, they are state of the art. had i done more shopping i may have one of them in my garage instead of the KLX. "

"okay, i may have been wrong when i said that the KLX is technologically ahead of the 400, i can admit if i'm wrong. imo, the KLX is better suited for everyday riding on every terrain. it has a cooling fan for stop and go riding, but can hit the trails at any time as well. it is lighter and if i mod my 250 enough i bet i could get 60 ponies out of her also. but i would say that's pushing it for any 4-stroke dirt bike though, even RC's. but one thing is for sure, the conventional forks are UGLY, i don't care if RC would use them. i'd still rather have my inverted single chamber. i don't care how many chambers they have, i'm 5'7, 150 lbs so i can dial about any front end in for my needs. one thing that i'm sure everyone agrees on, the 400 is ugly and fat looking. the 250 is trim and to be honest, one beautiful motorcycle. to me, that sold it. i know any bike can be modded to run good and that's just what i did. my KLX really runs good with the BigGun and other carb mods. the 400 is not street legal, too big for most people and just doesn't do it for me. like i said, i couldn't get one to even wheelie and like you, i raced for years so i know how to ride. i'm glad you like your 400 though. i'd still recommend the Husky, the KTM's just aren't the bike the Husky's are, dual purpose anyways."

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=5343

"the drz is a dinosaur that's overweight and lazy. i rode one two years ago and i could not get it to loft the front end. or you could wait for the forthcoming KLX 450, and get it licensed. then your friends won't be able to keep up with you. "

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=9581

But I have not ridden one so its just hearsay.

Last edited by KLXer; 01-13-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

My old man can wheelie his DRZ at will, so maybe these people you are quoting don't know how to do a wheelie. All he has is jetting and the 3x3 mod, and an Ebay exhaust tip, and changed gearing to 14/47.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

haha, looks like we've got another Iowaguy-addict, oh wait; we've always known KLXer was the worst IG addict on this forum. KLXer, what is that the third or fourth time you've posted that to try and smear me? I am quite flattered; to search, copy, paste, quote all of that, you must have spent at least 30 minutes of your time. Ah, the life of an addict. Anyways.........as I'm roflmfao.........

That DRZ I commented on, did not have a back tire which is part of the reason it would not wheelie. I commented on its torque and even said it would outrun the KLX in a full-on race. But the torque has never been argued against, even in that 2.5 year old post. Also, as it was not my bike I didn't exactly flog on it. It was a hog, as I stated. BUT, if you look at the weight ratings of the E DRZ and the '06 KLX250S, they're identical. Had I been more used to the bike and a good decent rear tire, now, after owning my own DRZ, I know it would have wheelied at will. I think everyone knows the DRZ is a torque monster, but w/o a rear tire to handle all that torque, all it will do is spin which is what was happening that particular day.

klxer, just get out or what? lmao

Old 01-13-2009, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

What about my snow........................?

Quick Reply: KLX250S and DR-Z400S