KLX250S and DR-Z400S

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX250S and DR-Z400S

A few months ago I bought a 2006 DR-Z400S. The guy needed cash, the bike was in prefect condition and only had 1,600 miles on it. I got it for 4k. After riding my 2009 KLX250 and the DRZ, other than the wonderful power of the DRZ, I feel that the KLX handles better in most situations. Maybe it is the lower center of gravity. Not sure. It feels more stable on the freeway, seems to corner better and more comfortably in twisties, it's more comfortable ergonomically and feels more nimble on the trails. It might be that I don't have the suspension dialed in on the DRZ. I feel the 2009 KLX suspension is really good right out of the crate (I'm 160 lbs.). I was wondering if anyone else has had similar feelings about these two bikes. My plan was to sell my KLX because I wanted the extra power of the DRZ but know I'm having second thoughts. Bill Blue's 351 kit would probably give me that extra power that I was looking for.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM

I debated between the KLX and DRZ for the last 6 months. Found a used DRZ
and sat on it and even though it was priced right I didn't buy it. It just felt too heavy. I must be spoiled by my KDX220. I ride mostly tight woods and my
commute is only 5 miles. I wanted a dirtbike with a tag because here in Iowa
I can't get one on the KDX. Dualsports are are compromise bikes and you have to decide what end you want. I'm sure you'll figure it out

Old 01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

My friend recently got a DRZ 400 and I rode that on a couple of long offroad rides. It just felt to heavy to me, kind of like a tank. If I were riding primarily on the street I might consider it. The five speed gearbox always left me looking for 6th at the top end.

I decided to go with the KLX 250s and have not regretted it one bit, and I haven't even gotten around to any mods yet, but they are certainly coming!

Craig

Old 01-10-2009, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

250 weight, 350 power, cant lose

Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I have yet to ride my dad's 06 DRZ-400. But based on riding with him, the DRZ has tons more motor than the KLX (obviously), it has better suspension (minus the oldschool forks, but even they are probably as good or better than our USD), its a bit simpler to work on and Suzuki knows how to make a bike with common sense (based on the way things work on his vs. the KLX). But I do not regret the KLX for a second. This is my first bike, I needed something tame and short enough to touch the ground, but with enough room to grow that it'll still satisfy me when its paid off (Muzzys in the future, the new sprockets + tires, etc).

I think tomorrow I might beg the old man to let me ride it

Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Without a doubt, the Suzuki has gobs more power. You can't even compare the two. It's the handling that I like on the KLX. But I also need to give my DRZ some attention in the suspension dept to be fair. I just checked the race sag and it's a whopping 150 mm! Someone obviously has messed with it or it wasn't properly set up at the dealer. That would explain why it isn't handling well. I lot of guys swear by the DRZ. I'll have them both for the rest of the winter and continue to ride both. The KLX feels more modern to me but the DRZ has SO much power in comparison. I might just make one of them a supermoto streeter and the other one my off-road bike.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

That is exactly what I would do! I love riding the 250 on the street and would love to go completely supermoto with it, but the dirt calls way too often. I am actually thinking about a second bike. Just don't tell my wife!

Craig

Old 01-11-2009, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

or for a fraction of the price buy another set of wheels and have 2 bikes for the price of one

Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 01-11-2009, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah man, if you are seriously considering using either bike for off road stuff, I would go for the KLX. The KLX feels so damn light and nimble compared to the DRZ, and the KLX has a perfect amout of horsey for the tight trails.

Quick Reply: KLX250S and DR-Z400S