KLX250S Burnt hole in airbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX250S Burnt hole in airbox

A friend borrowed my bike an overcinched his panniers causing the exhaust pipe to bend in and burn a 1-2" dia hole in the airbox. He had some other problems on the trip and returned a limping bike back to me. Somehow we're still friends! He had though it might have overheated; had some problems making power at high load/rpm and subsequent starting issues

I got the bike back, double checked valve clearances and timing (I'd reset this in the past), put it all back together, and still reproducing sputtering at high rpm.

A) would a hole in the airbox be a possible culprit for that? should i replace the airbox?... I know additional airflow would lean it out, but I wouldn't think a max 2" hole would make it go from 'running alright' to 'limping'... I can't get it above about 30mph on a flat
B) if i replace it, how do i make sure i dont burn the new one up? Bend the exhaust pipes?

Old 04-20-2021, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Just tape a piece of hard plastic over the hole and giv-er-a-go!
IMO, yes.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Fix the hole, create proper clearance on the midpipe, then you can start working on the problem.

I know you say his panniers caused the problem, and I'm sure it did - But for the record, especially on our KLX's, slapping on a slipon, and allowing its' midpipe to burn a hole in your airbox is caused by a malfunction between your ears. Check and fix clearances, or pay the price.

You only "bend pipes" after a complete loosening and repositioning of the entire exhaust system (including bending mounting tabs) proves ineffective or not effective enough. I had to bend my PC4 to get that last bit of "mo clearance".

Old 04-21-2021, 03:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking that also a tip over or two pushed the panniers, pipe, etc. toward the airbox allowing the pipe to burn the hole. I think it sounds like your friend has more to his story than he's letting on.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Once you've exhausted your capabilities, perhaps your friend will take your bike to the dealership for parts replacements and repairs ?

Old 04-23-2021, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I straightened up the exhaust pipes, taped the hole in the airbox, took a quick look at carb/bowl/jets, replaced the plug, and its still unhappy:

I'll check compression next i guess

My dude is a good friend and said 'whatever it takes to make it right i'll cover'. He was on a ride with a group, having trouble keeping up and nervous in traffic, etc, so he doesn't totally remember chain of events other than overcinching the panniers....

Old 04-23-2021, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

IMO, you have a problem with the carb.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Would he have remembered submerging it in water ?

Looks like you are about to become a "CVK Guy"- total dismantle (don't loose the needle jet !) , total blast cleaning, reassemble, bench check, test run....

Or you can fool around, over and over, with it until you finally decide to do the above, thus becoming a "CVK Guy" ..

Sorry for the attitude.. You could always take it to the dealership.