KLX250S Big Bore

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default KLX250S Big Bore

Ok I made up my mind, lets go big bore. 351cc big bore. A few questions first though, should I get the aftermarket carb that you can buy off of the same website and the big bore? And can I just do this at home or I need a shop to do? i'm a good mechanic, is it basically install and go then jet? thanks.

Last edited by daren1093251; 10-23-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Between these two write-ups and the service manual, I had a easy time of it just out in the garage. If you are already a competent mechanic it should be cake.

Runs fine with rejet on stock carb. Have heard new carb is nice, but it's not necessary at all.

There is a link to a PDF of the service manual around here somewhere if you search.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...s-links-32538/

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...351-mod-31703/

The folks in this forum have been incredibly helpful, and searching around in here will get you pretty much whatever you need.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Broussard pointed you too the 2 threads you'll need. I also put together a jetting spreadsheet to reference what works for others https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...adsheet-39762/

Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Most people like the tm34, but other prefer the tm36-68 because it 100% tunable, whre the tm34 you can only change the jets and have to run with lid on.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Huh? Why if you have a T34 do you have to run with the lid on? I must have missed that thread, I was thinking of taking mine off.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daren1093251
Ok I made up my mind, lets go big bore. 351cc big bore. A few questions first though, should I get the aftermarket carb that you can buy off of the same website and the big bore? And can I just do this at home or I need a shop to do? i'm a good mechanic, is it basically install and go then jet? thanks.
The stock CVK carb works very well with the 351. I think the only thing you have to gain from the TM's is a quicker reaction to the twist of the throttle. Hard for me to believe they are worth the money. Not knocking the carb but the bang for the buck ratio is not high enough for me. Either way, you will not be disappointed with the 351.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Its easy if you have the tools and knowledge. Download the workshop manual for torque specs ect..

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...manuals-37525/

Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
The stock CVK carb works very well with the 351. I think the only thing you have to gain from the TM's is a quicker reaction to the twist of the throttle. Hard for me to believe they are worth the money. Not knocking the carb but the bang for the buck ratio is not high enough for me. Either way, you will not be disappointed with the 351.
Dan, I tended to buy the improved throttle response "only" aspect of the pumper carb too initially. However, since running this TM36 for awhile now, I think there's noticeable improvement at WOT...or at the very least how quickly it gets and holds WOT. With the open, smooth bore of the TM carb at WOT, it's not hard to imagine why, but, without true dyno testing, I'm not sure I can qualify it. Plus, I also have an additional 2mm of that smooth, open throttle bore which may also be contributing to WOT performance. I do notice an ability to hold WOT or near WOT more consistently going up long steady hills without having to downshift as quickly or often, and that's not usually as a result of an accelerator pump.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Dan, I tended to buy the improved throttle response "only" aspect of the pumper carb too initially. However, since running this TM36 for awhile now, I think there's noticeable improvement at WOT...or at the very least how quickly it gets and holds WOT. With the open, smooth bore of the TM carb at WOT, it's not hard to imagine why, but, without true dyno testing, I'm not sure I can qualify it. Plus, I also have an additional 2mm of that smooth, open throttle bore which may also be contributing to WOT performance. I do notice an ability to hold WOT or near WOT more consistently going up long steady hills without having to downshift as quickly or often, and that's not usually as a result of an accelerator pump.
Rah! Rah! I see the TM fanboi is here
hahaha Sorry TNC, it's been awhile.

Seriously though, TNC knows his stuff, so I would take what he said up above to the bank. I still wonder if the improvements are worth $400? (The bang to the buck ratio). I guess that ratio depends on each persons level of disposable income.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:37 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Rah! Rah! I see the TM fanboi is here
hahaha Sorry TNC, it's been awhile.

Seriously though, TNC knows his stuff, so I would take what he said up above to the bank. I still wonder if the improvements are worth $400? (The bang to the buck ratio). I guess that ratio depends on each persons level of disposable income.
...or get my parts at cost through the motorcycle shop I used to work at.

Quick Reply: KLX250S Big Bore