Is the klx250 still fun??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Finesse a 300lb KLX250 up and around like that and you've accomplished something - Finesse a 238lb 70hp Open Classer up and around like that and you've accomplished nothing - just turned another mountain into a molehill, as usual.. I pretty much have em all and point is, that looks like fun on the KLX.. It'd be boring on a Husaberg 650..

Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Here in Ohio back when we were doing harescrambles, virtually every one we put on back in the 80s was won by a 250, a 400+ didn't stand a chance. Maybe now the 450 might be good, but I guarantee horsing a 650 or larger ain't gonna cut it. It turns our rough switch back trails in to a nightmare, especially with some mud.

If you look now, most KTM riders are riding the 300 two stroke when in eastern GNCC races. The 250 two strokes are really getting popular for that kind of racing. The tighter and tougher the going the worse a big horsepower bike is no matter how light. Of course the weight is all up higher too.

Oh and for the OP, just went to the post office and dinner on the 250 - yep, still fun.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Tried my loop in 2nd(as much as possible), not as much front end pop but workable
And to hell with more power, if anything the 250s needs 2" more ground clearance, modern Usd forks and shock(the shock isn't that bad I guess)

Last edited by MattyTracks; 09-08-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Anything on 2 wheels is fun, scooters are fun. Where did this thread title come from? The post up above calling the KLX250s weak? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Where's my shotgun at?....................I don't get folks who ride a 250cc bike and expect it to act like a 650 KLR. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, when it comes to offroading, I need'a keep my piehole shut because my perspective is very "off and wrong".. Since 1981, all I've owned, ridden, and raced, is open class machines.. But I always have lots of smaller racing machines for the kids.. I go out on the KLX and yank and jab on the throttle, giggling like a little girl, because I never get to do that.. You have a lapse in judgement with your throttle discipline in the woods with a XXXX 500/501/650, and you ride a helicopter to the hospital.. That's why folks hate them and think they suk in the woods - 60+HP, 225/240lbs is really dangerous and unfun to the uninitiated.. Imagine, at the track, getting outta your Ferrari and into your buddies Miata - you'd have a blast ! ,,,, Your buddy, in your Ferrari, is not.. He is looking for fun while trying to not kill himself and your Ferrari..

BTW, anyone else in here with a main ride that weighs less than 250lb with more than 55hp?

Last edited by Klxster; 09-09-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Yeah, when it comes to offroading, I need'a keep my piehole shut because my perspective is very "off and wrong".. Since 1981, all I've owned, ridden, and raced, is open class machines.. But I always have lots of smaller racing machines for the kids.. I go out on the KLX and yank and jab on the throttle, giggling like a little girl, because I never get to do that.. You have a lapse in judgement with your throttle discipline in the woods with a XXXX 500/501/650, and you ride a helicopter to the hospital.. That's why folks hate them and think they suk in the woods - 60+HP, 225/240lbs is really dangerous and unfun to the uninitiated.. Imagine, at the track, getting outta your Ferrari and into your buddies Miata - you'd have a blast ! ,,,, Your buddy, in your Ferrari, is not.. He is looking for fun while trying to not kill himself and your Ferrari..

BTW, anyone else in here with a main ride that weighs less than 250lb with more than 55hp?
Lol, my husky is 230lb and 55hp, different type of fun. Looking back at all my bikes I've owned I think the kdx220 was the perfect balance of power and weight.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I had a KDX200 as a "sponsor" bike ( If you wanted to ride with us but dint have a bike..) Same kinda fun for me as the KLX - I'd get to "nail it" all the time without worries..

How many riding years do you have on the back of that Husky?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I had a KDX200 as a "sponsor" bike ( If you wanted to ride with us but dint have a bike..) Same kinda fun for me as the KLX - I'd get to "nail it" all the time without worries..

How many riding years do you have on the back of that Husky?
I've only had the husky for 2 weeks and about 1 hour dirt riding time. Fork seals, steering and wheel bearings are currently being replaced. She is super fun, throttle and clutch control are critical.
As she sits waiting for parts...
Name:  65F23251-6E87-4382-A9EE-57DB00D11EEC.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  169.7 KB

Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh crap... Ok.. Your coming UP to Open Class... It's not for everyone.. Like you're learning, it's a very different offroad experience when going fast - concentration, technique, and riding waaay ahead.. It's not fun - not if you lack the discipline.. I like the focus required - Probably most won't... Kinda like the KLX is a toy to have stupid fun on , the others aren't..

Old 09-09-2015, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh crap... Ok.. Your coming UP to Open Class... It's not for everyone.. Like you're learning, it's a very different offroad experience when going fast - concentration, technique, and riding waaay ahead.. It's not fun - not if you lack the discipline.. I like the focus required - Probably most won't... Kinda like the KLX is a toy to have stupid fun on , the others aren't..
Haha, I'm not gonna race it, just recreational trail riding, maybe the local mx track, FSR etc. I bought it because the price was right, it's plated in BC and it will be a prelude to owning a 2017 KTM 500(I plan ahead) I've ridden everything from 80cc to 1000cc crotch rockets, the power is not new to me, but it's addicting...hp's that is.

Anyway, the klx is still fun, my little green tractor.

Quick Reply: Is the klx250 still fun??