KLX250 owner from Australia (west)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Default KLX250 owner from Australia (west)

Hey all, first post on this forum, been reading for a while and am impressed with the knowledge of alot of the members.

I've got an '06 that I love but have found myself wanting a bit more power of late. After looking around from the forum I've decided I will go with the 351cc kit and a decent exhaust (staintune seems like the goods here in aus.) BUT, Ive spoken to a few people and my local Kawasaki shop and it seems no-one outside of this forum knows of anything larger than the 300cc kit.

My Q. is: how can I source a 351 kit in Australia without breaking the bank, or will I have to settle for less. Also is the locally made staintune exhaust fine or would you suggest something different.

Ps. I dont really want to gear it down with smaller front/ larger rear sprockets as I feel the extra power from the engine will give me what I want.
PPs. This isn't only for aussie members to answer, as long as my questions can be answered, I'll be happy.

Thanks guys/girls

Old 07-04-2010, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey mate, welcome aboard.

As far as I understand it, the 351 kit is only done by 1 person - Bill Blue I think it is? (http://bandbcyclerestorations.com/page_4.html). The 300 kit is an official Kawasaki part, and anything bigger than that is unofficial - so the dealers won't know about them unless they have specific experience with them.

I guess that kind of answers your next question about cost - coz there will be no way to do it other than getting it from the US and shipping your old cylinder back there. It is a major hindrance for me too

As far as Aussie pipe's go, I have seen a Staintune on another forum members bke and his bike went very nicely. There is also a Terry Kelly TK-P available (http://www.tkpipes.com.au/TKPTestHome.html). Otherwise you'll be looking overseas like I did for an FMF/Two Brothers/etc. WestOzKLX put me onto JC Motorsports (http://www.jcmotors.com/) who I found pretty good too.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:54 AM
1st Gear Member

G'day Bananaman,

I have the 300 kit which uses genuine Kawasaki parts.

Bill Blue does the 351 kit and you will have no trouble ordering from him.
I got my pumper carb from Bill.
Got a Big Gun full system off Ebay.

I may do the 351 over the summer in time for next season.

Have you done all the free stuff?
Open her up a bit and a re-jet?
WestOz has a 2 brothers slip on and properly jetted carb and its a big improvement on stock.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

hi nana,

I'm from Melbourne, and I got a 331 from Bill. Cost was around $700 when the Aus dollar bought around 75 US cents, but that also included the braided front brake line. So unless you can source a 300 kit quite cheaply then it's really not much more ($200 roughly) for one of Bill's creations.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bananaman
Hey all, first post on this forum, been reading for a while and am impressed with the knowledge of alot of the members....

Get your gear on and come ride with us. Neil or Waitsey can show you how to fall safely.

Posted rides here on a reg' basis. >>>http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...10709&page=114

Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 AM

Awsome, thanks guys.
I might look into one of Big Bills 351 kits and perhaps a bored carb.

Hopefully I can find someone to help me/show me how to fit it to the bike. (ahem...WestOzKLX, ridings good down here around Bunbury, or can you put me on to someone, there's beer in it )

Any other advice for a new member/rider. I'm starting to get addicted to this whole having a bike thing, I'm running out of things that I know how to do and I'm pretty sure the frame and plastics are now see-thru from being cleaned too much .

Old 07-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey all, first post on this forum, been reading for a while and am impressed with the knowledge of alot of the members.

What about the rest of us that don't know much?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by deej
What about the rest of us that don't know much?
You guys will just have to rely on looks... and your uber high post count to gain my naive respect!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:29 PM

How much do the big bore kits (specifically 351cc) affect fuel economy? How far does a stock tank get you with the different mods you all have.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You guys will just have to rely on looks... and your uber high post count to gain my naive respect!

Hahahaha Nice! You are already going to fit in here.

Quick Reply: KLX250 owner from Australia (west)