KLX250 CDI Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX250 CDI Replacement

Hi Folks.

I've been having engine stuttering problems with my 2009 KLX250. After going through various carb and electrical possibilities and testing or replacing components I am no further forward. I'm worried the issue may be the CDI.

Kawasaki don't operate here in Cambodia and the bike is imported so getting parts is both difficult and expensive. I'm also definitely not certain the CDI is the problem so even if I could get hold of one, I'm reluctant to pay hundreds of dollars for a new CDI that might not help.

I've seen a lot of Chinese bike/atv CDIs (and packages of CDI, ignition coil, regulator, etc) available cheaply online. I was thinking of ordering one to see if it solves the problem. However, many are listed as compatible when clearly they aren't so I have no idea which, if any, would be compatible with my bike.

Has anyone fitted a non-standard CDI or could give any advice on compatibility please?

The original unit is a 21119-1533. I believe this is a slightly uncommon Australian model but I'm just looking for any CDI that would run the bike. The original unit has 8 wires. some of these are for things such as kick stand and clutch cut out switches which aren't essential. If anyone could advise on anything that could be used as a replacement I could adjust the wiring to connect it as long as the substitute CDI had a wiring diagram.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi,

I invite you to check our plug'n play replacement cdi unit here:
KLX CDI module

I may be able to help you diagnose your system before deciding on a purchase: your no spark situation may be due to faulty ignition coil, ignition wire and boot, trigger pickup coil or faulty safety circuit (side stand out protection, antitheft protection). There are simple tests that can be done to eliminate at least some of those faults. Just write me a private message if you're interested.

In any case, be warned that other aftermarket cdi not specially built for the KLX250 will typically not work on your bike, as the trigger pattern is not the same for other brands (or even other Kawasaki bikes or quads).

Old 10-04-2021, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your reply.

I've been working through the various ignition components(and the carburetor) to find the problem. I am still not totally sure it's the CDI but have exhausted most of the other options so it is looking increasingly likely that the CDI is the problem. The engine stuttering issue I've been experiencing is intermittent though which makes it hard and slow to draw definite conclusions and I am not quite there yet..

I did already notice your product on ebay when looking for potential replacements. If I get to the point where I am more or less certain the CDI needs to be replaced and am looking to buy, I'll be in touch.

Thanks again.