Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX250 CDI module

Any thoughts on changing CDI?

KLX CDI module

Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Interesting. The possibility of a small increase in performance with a properly designed aftermarket CDI is certainly there. It probably wouldn't be a night-and-day difference, but there could be a difference. Depending on the amount of advance available, there's also the possibility that you'd have to run higher octane fuel all the time to prevent detonation. I'd like to hear more.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

does this help with the starting?....just wondering what this does better compared to the stock cdi that's not broken....

Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
does this help with the starting?....just wondering what this does better compared to the stock cdi that's not broken....
666, unless your ignition system is defective, your starting issue is something else. The stock system is more than adequate to easily start and operate the engine. I think something else is going on with your situation. I think you need to nail down what's wrong with your bike first.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah...my valve class is coming up next week with a motorcycle mechanic instructor, so we'll have plenty of time to go over everything....

Originally Posted by TNC
666, unless your ignition system is defective, your starting issue is something else. The stock system is more than adequate to easily start and operate the engine. I think something else is going on with your situation. I think you need to nail down what's wrong with your bike first.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool, Id like to see their results on this.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Interesting. The possibility of a small increase in performance with a properly designed aftermarket CDI is certainly there. It probably wouldn't be a night-and-day difference, but there could be a difference. Depending on the amount of advance available, there's also the possibility that you'd have to run higher octane fuel all the time to prevent detonation. I'd like to hear more.
You may be right about higher octane requirement, though 35deg advance on the stock bore does not seem extreme, particularly since it has a rather mild 11:1 compression ratio. I made some trials with my bike at 35deg and regular fuel (87 octane) and did not notice any misbehavior. This remains to be validated under hot condition though.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to report on performance with a 300cc bore soon. This was planned for May but has to be delayed. There are a couple people out there with big bore and programmable cdi who might show what they got before I can do it.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Agreed (in case you wondered what are my thoughts on this).

Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Ray, on that compression issue, it's one reason why I went with the OEM 300 jug and piston, as it retains the 11:1 compression instead of the 12:1 that most big bore kits are offering. I understand the benefits of higher compression, but a lot of fuel sources can really suck these days, and some of the places I go in the hinterlands will sometimes only have 85 or 86 octane regular. My 300 will run well on just about anything flammable without detonation, and I get terrific mileage besides. I kind of hate to mess with success...LOL!

Quick Reply: KLX250 CDI module