Klx250 to 300 my mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Klx250 to 300 my mistakes

So i recently purchased a 300 kit that was for sale on the forum. I wont do a install thread as the board has many of them already. I made a few mistake which should be avoided. These were basically from lack of experience.

The first mistake i made was during the cylinder removal. Although i removed the adjustable cam chain tensioner i did not remove the one that goes below it. The spring fell in to the engine. I was lucky as it didnt go deep and was easy to fish out. The washer remained in the cap.

My second mistake was worse. When removing the head i did not remove the washers that the head bolts go through. I assumed they would not move if the head was not turned upside down. Well during installation i noticed one missing. After looking at the head i can see they can easily slide off in to the cam chain sprocket. Not being able to locate the washer i had to dis-assemble the right side of the engine. Luckily when the cover finally came off the washer was there. btw the brake lever needs to be put on before the clutch cover. [another mistake]

Finally my last mistake i put the water hose housing backwards on the front of cylinder. After the cylinder is on the bike it a pia to take off and install. It required taking the front engine frame bracket off then another 20-30 minutes trying to start the screws.

In my case i returned the exhaust cam to stock but left the intake in cam mod mode. The bike started first click and runs great. PCv maps were given to me by a forum member. Without the info on the forum my bike would still be a dog.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ha ha, yeah I think I dropped one of the head bolt washers down the black hole as well. Luckily it stopped right where it hit and a magnet easily pulled it right back out.

Your heart about stops when it happens but it is a good laugh when all is well again.

Good job on the install

Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankee99
btw the brake lever needs to be put on before the clutch cover.
You lost me on this one, can you explain?

Glad it went well on the overall.

Dan

Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankee99
The spring fell in to the engine.... i had to dis-assemble the right side of the engine. Luckily when the cover finally came off the washer was there.
Thanks for sharing!
I am not running a big bore on the KLX (although I am considering it), and I am not a mechanic, but I have done a few head jobs and rebores on other bikes. Those experiences were sometimes frustrating for all the reasons you mentioned, but they sure also taught me the value of having a retrieval magnet, coat hanger wire, and rags to stuff in any open passages, on hand BEFORE even picking up a wrench.
There are very few things worse than nearing the end of a build-up, then realizing you have to rip the motor back apart to retrieve something that's dropped into the crankcase!
Please elaborate on the second cam chain tensioner you mention. Are you referring to the cam chain sub-tensioner bolt or the cam chain guide bolt?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
You lost me on this one, can you explain?

Glad it went well on the overall.

Dan
When dis-assembling the right side [following the manual] i had to remove the clutch cover then the brake lever. When re-assembling i installed the clutch cover first then the brake lever would not go on. So i had to remove the cover and then install the lever then the cover.

I guess i should inspect as maybe its bent? Or is this way normal.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

(In my case i returned the exhaust cam to stock but left the intake in cam mod mode.)

What reason? Did you have to re time the ACR. Why retime the exhaust?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^The bike has the marcelino cam mod. The person who has the same setup and gave me the maps recommend to return the exhaust cam to stock.

All i can say that the bike is running excellent and with 13/42 power wheelies in first bumping the throttle. 2nd gear requires some pulling but can still get it up nicely.