KLX Touring Setup (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

No, I am not going to camp this time. Ill just take a nap for a few hours on a Pipeline Access Road.
If I didn't have the road memorized and it was my first time I would.

I used to guide tours up that road to the Arctic Ocean as a driver. I have been to Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse many dozens of times. There is a nice pullout at mile 401 Dalton just outside Deadhorse I usually take a nap at.

Then again I might just stop for gas in Coldfoot, Deadhorse, Coldfoot, and back to at my house. Who knows?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Maximus,

I am not sure what the weight rating is for the windshield rack, I just put a fanny pack on it and put my Revolver and Water Bottle/Coffee up there.

I wouldn't stick a lot though, it would affect steering.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Illking
very cool, cant wait to see the trip report.
+1, ride safe.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you ever run into any of those "Ice Road Trucker" dudes? LOL

Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I really like your setup! How much does all the extra gear weigh and did you upgrade your suspension? Looks like the extra displacement is needed to haul all your gear....

Old 08-08-2012, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Websurfing101

The 351 makes this bike would it should be in the first place IMHO. Yes, the 250 would not appreciate the extra weight.

My suspension is set to almost full hardness with a bunch of preload in the back. The front is about 4 clicks out from full hardness.

The stuff weighs a bit, 21 pounds of fuel, 20 more pounds for the rack that holds it, and probably 40 pounds of gear. Not to mention the bike is armored with the TCI guards and the windshield. Keep in mind I'm not racing in this configuration, just cruising. Off road with this setup is slightly annoying to say the least.

Predsfan1

Oh and the "Ice Road truckers" run on a dirt road for 6 months and then on the ice (road sprayed with water to smooth it in winter) another 6 months. I drove tour vans and buses on the same road... not that bad lol. The haul road is better in the winter minus the temperature. We drove the Japanese charters to watch the northern lights north of Coldfoot from January to April.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

That's an interesting color combo too... Did you paint it? It's not the typical Kawi lime green. Also, what tires are you running?

Rob

Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Speaking of carrying capacity of the windshield...I saw on ADV a bike with a Kolpin(sp?) tank mounted up there! Yikes!
After surviving a moose crash, I can't imagine going through that and being doused in fuel too!
I'm envious of your location for riding! I drove to Fairbanks (and flew into the bush to float down the Noatak back in 2000) and the whole drive was wishing I had my KLR250 and a video camera mounted up to catch all the wildlife.
Please post some pics from the road.
Going to have to ride up there someday, wanted to get to Barrow but didn't. Did wade into the sea in Kotzebue, Holy Crap Batman was that cold!
Do you just keep riding until you need to sleep because the sun is up most of the time?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

what is the aluminum tank after the puke bottle?? Gas I asume, is it connected?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow hard core man!!! That looks awesome!

Quick Reply: KLX Touring Setup (Pics)