Klx top speed and climbing ability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Default Klx top speed and climbing ability?

i have been looking at the klx250s for some time now and i plan to purchase one in spring. Im curious if it will be able to stay above 55 on steep asphalt, and purely for curiousity what kind of top speed dose it have?

Old 03-04-2006, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Klx top speed and climbing ability?

Well I personally have only been up to 75 miles an hour. Since I have replaced the stock front sprocket with a 13t it will now pull pretty good up hills. Once the 45t comes in for the back I belive that the perfomance will improve. However, I do not care about the top end speed. I like the bottom end touqe that this bike has. Plus with this little of a bike going anymore than 60mph is just crazy. Just my thoughts.... Congrats on your new bike and have lots of fun...

Old 03-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

What Gravy said LOL. Slow is better

deej

Old 03-04-2006, 10:59 PM

i have had mine up to 85 bone stock

Old 03-04-2006, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea that's way too fast for me, e****ally when a full loaded log truck goes by and you feel like the bike is going to become airborne,...LOL

deej

Old 03-05-2006, 01:47 AM

Just got back from riding on the roads again, WOW, thats crazy. Anyways my top speed was 65 MPH, going up a hill giving it all its got in 6th gear, Im sure it would have gone faster if I dropped it back into 5th., and these guys are right, the wind just plays with you like you are a little toy, then when a large truck gos by, its like getting hit in the face, with, wind, lol. But if you ride it on the road, pay no attention to the "Keep it under 4,000 RPMs for the 1st 500 miles" uless you will only be traveling in your neighborhood. Now you can do as they instruct, but you will be looking at the underside of a pickup truck if you dont keep those RPMs up.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:50 AM

Coming from a Ninja 750R I was concerned about the highway power this bike has. Especially in the north Georgia mountains. It has really suprised me on the road. You won't be able to keep up with your road bike buddys on the interstate and it will be a challenge on the twisties but really this bike has plenty of power to get you to the trail. I have a section of road with some good hills which I have to cruise about 70-75 to avoid being run over or rear ended and I don't have any trouble maintaining that speed. I have had mine a little above 80 and it had a long way to go but that is not what this or any other dual sport in this weight class is designed for. Go with a $8,000 450 pound 900cc dual sport if you need the speed but don't expect to hit the good tight trails with it very well.

I think I have more fun on this bike in town than the Ninja though. It is so light and nimble and you can jump curbs and take off in the ditch if you want to. I think you will be impressed how much power this little 250 has and yes mine is still bone stock. I am planning on going to a 13t front and maybe a 45t rear.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:06 AM

Like mentioned above, 85 is possible, but 55-65 seems like the best crusing speed and 70 is possible for freeway use, but this bike is best for backroads and 2 lane highway. Up hills 65 in 5th is about top speed.

On the other hand, on loose gravel roads, 50-55 is where this bike is happy. I recently dropped the front sprocket fo 13T... big improvment in over all performance, and good compromise, but I think 13/45 will be the best compromise for trial & street use and fits this bikes desing purpose best. with 13/42, I was wanting a little shorter 1st and 2nd when on tight trails, water crossings, ditches, etc. The 13/50 of the KLX300R is too short for street use.

It's been mentioned before that this isn't the best street bike, but in the dual sport world it's probably the best trail bike and strikes a good compromise. With the "free mods", jet kit and aftermarket pipe the thing is a great little bike and doesn't give up much to the competition in it's class.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:25 PM

So will this bike pull much better if I put the 45 t rear sprocket on and just leave the front 14? That will give me a ratio of 3.21. Since this is my 1st bike I am pretty used to how it feels on trails and whatnot, but I need more pulling speed in 6th. I don't mean I want to accelerate like a bat outta hell in 6th, but I want to be able to just keep the RPMs consistant without dropping off when going up hills. I also don't want to lose alot of top end speed because I have to get on 2 lane highways to get to any trails close to me, and thats a 65 mph speed limit which really means 75 to all the cars, so this sounds like it would be a good compromise by giving this bike more power while not dropping the top speed too much.

all of you people with 13 t fronts and stock rears should be able to answer this one ok. Does it at least keep consistant RPMs in 6th while going up a hill?

Old 04-10-2006, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Before I added the 13 tooth to the bike, and keep in mind I weigh 230ish....OK 240, the bike had little to no acceleration in 6th gear, now with the 13 tooth I can actually accelerate. I'll bet the 45 tooth will compliment that nicely.

Quick Reply: Klx top speed and climbing ability?