KLX stranded me this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Out of curiosity, any crashes on the right side of your bike?
Well, as a matter of fact... last year when I broke my collar bone... it landed on the right side. The spill didn't even bend the brake lever, though that's what took the brunt of the impact. It just got a little scuff on the ball end.

Still... I would expect some drag if it was damaged in any way. Until it let go, it was operating as smooth as when I took it off the showroom floor.

2veedubs:
I could have done some creative modifications to make it home, but I was less than 2 miles away. I just hoofed it about half way home (until my wife made it by to pick me up). I went home and put the hitch carrier on the old Escape, and went back to pick it up. Had I been out in the wilderness, I would have certainly rigged up something to get me back.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

you turn the throttle screw all the way in...this should give you enough throttle to cruise to where you need to go to get it fixed...

Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
you turn the throttle screw all the way in...this should give you enough throttle to cruise to where you need to go to get it fixed...
Ya know... that never occurred to me. VERY good advice there. Thanks! I'll certainly remember that one.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Shoe lace....

hey it worked on my buddies '84 mustang once when the fan belt broke

Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

As with any mass produced product always remember. Brand new broken stuff is sold every day. It happens.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:21 AM

This just happened to me yesterday. Just making a run to the store, so I had no tools. Pulled the bare cable back down by the carb and made it home trying to yank the cable smoothly. Ordered the OEM replacement, but maybe should have gone with aftermarket.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
As with any mass produced product always remember. Brand new broken stuff is sold every day. It happens.
You mean the 9 year-old Chinese girl, working 16 hour days in a sweat-shop while taking home $4 a month, made me a bad (new) cable??? They should cut her pay and make her work longer days... sheesh!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick update... I replaced the cable last night. I expected the failure to be at the barrel, but it turns out the cable broke about 2.5" down, where it goes through the little 90 degree tube. Probably damaged it in my crash last year...

Last edited by rgoers; 08-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Quick update... I replaced the cable last night. I expected the failure to be at the barrel, but it turns out the cable broke about 2.5" down, where it goes therough the little 90 degree tube. Probably damaged it in my crash last year...

clean cut, or frayed from rubbing, or something else?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
clean cut, or frayed from rubbing, or something else?
Frayed pretty badly! It's a mystery to me that it worked so smooth up until the time the last strand must have broke...

Quick Reply: KLX stranded me this morning...