KLX stranded me this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy KLX stranded me this morning...

I was turning a corner this morning, and I twisted the throttle and got NOTHING! I was on a side road with no traffic, so I was able to safely coast to a stop. Turns out the throttle cable apparently broke up inside the twist-grip. I'm guessing the barrel/cable junction failed... but I haven't had it apart yet to see for sure.

Only 2500 miles on it, and just 5 months out of warranty. No warning at all, it just decided to quit working. Didn't even feel it snap - just twisted and there was no "go" happening.

I certainly didn't see that one coming... I figured the bike was still pretty new, and reasonably reliable. I'm just glad it didn't happen on some remote trail... miles from civilization.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Out of curiosity, any crashes on the right side of your bike?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Could you have McGyvered it and used the push cable as a temporary Pull cable and got where you were going?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

First throttle cable i have heard of letting go. Defective cable. Glad you weren't out in the middle of nowhere.
Dan

Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

When I put my stock carb back in, I only used one cable (the pull side) but kept the pull cable in place to use as a spare just in case something like that happens.

Rob

Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

My son had the same thing happen to his throttle cable (on a 2010 with about 3500 miles on it), except his broke down at the carb. He was way out in the middle of nowhere, on forest roads, and managed to limp it home by driving with one hand on the handlebars and one hand on the carb. Not an easy task, and I wouldn't want to try it myself.

Just a couple of weeks prior, his clutch cable broke up at the lever. Ever since, I've been keeping an close watch on mine for any signs of fraying...

Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

did you ever ajust them from stock some peolpe take the slack out of them an it pits them in an over tight condition and wears them out fast

Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

too much free play can also make the slack bend back and forth in the throttle housing fraying the cable

Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

It just occurred to me that I'm not even using the stock cables anymore.. mine are MotionPro cables that I got when I installed my riser. I hope these end up being more durable than the stockers.

Rob

Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

That situation happened to me, though at the carb. I just attached the return cable and had to turn the throttle the other way all the way home. kinda weird.

Quick Reply: KLX stranded me this morning...