KLX as main mode of transportation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX as main mode of transportation?

Who uses the KLX as their main mode of transportation?

I am looking forward to trying this in the spring (April to October) with the KLX as my only vehicle. I purchased a rain suit, rain glove covers and rain boot covers. I have 2 other vehicles but I would like to see if I can do this. Plus I might save a little on gas.

My only problem is grocery shopping but I figure my girlfriend can take me or one of my buddies.

I always wear a backpack when I ride it to work so is there anything in particular I should keep in there? Most of the time I am no more than 20 miles from home. Might be a couple 300 mile trips to my cottage in the summer.

I currently have a 13 tooth front sprocket on and am wondering if I should put the 14 tooth back on. I do 90% city riding. With the 13 tooth on there for a 300 mile round trip would that kill the engine?

So lets hear from you guys and gals that use your KLX as primary transportation!

Thanks,
-Nick

Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

If your normal road speed is ~50MPH, your gearing will work fine but hurts gas mileage a little.

I did months on my KLX-250S without an automobile. I could get a weeks worth of groceries in my backpack. I also strapped large cardboard boxes on the rack for FedEx runs. The KLX-250S works great for urban commutes but, it steers too fast for long highway rides though I did a 200 mile interstate run (each way) to go to the IMS Motorcycle show in Phoenix once.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

i daily ride mine, my honda civic hasnt run in almost 3 years. got the bike to get me around till i fixed that, but most the money went to mods . run the 14, after a few sproket changes, you can do it in less than 10 minutes. doesnt the gasmile/insurance rate kick @$$ next to a cage. i dont have any rain gear, but i am in cali so no real need (except for last week). have fun, this bikes a ball to daily ride.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya I'm looking to shoot up to my cottage about 150 miles one way with some of my buddies with crotch rockets. So I am hoping my KLX can handle 70mph for extended periods of time but I may have to put the 14 tooth on.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I ride almost everyday, in fact last spring and summer I think I rode 120 days in a row. Of course my commute is only 2 miles...but still.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I have been riding it to work every day for almost two years, rain or shine. If you are wanting to get up to 70, better put the 14 back on, and maybe drop a few in the rear too. It won't be a wheelie monster, but it will run 70 no problems. (unless you are going uphill) I would also suggest getting street wheels/tires if you ride 90% city, and switch them out when you want to off-road. Easy to do, and the bike handles so well on the streets with proper tires, you won't believe it.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

for 70, youll need the 14. your be buzzy, but it will do it.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

My mate Paul has just got himself a KLX and it his only vehicle.

Maybe some soft panniers will help with the shopping.

I got the dirtdagz.

Name:  PICT0031-1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  78.6 KB

Wolfman do some good soft luggage for bikes as well.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index.html

Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

i ride my bike every day to work on the freeway 16 miles as long as its not rainin to hard, and my gearing is 15-42 cruise at 70 no problem, sounds like its not even trying at that speed. i like it. and for dirt riding i put my 13 on and were good to go

Old 01-29-2010, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I have been riding mine every day for a week since the GF smashed up her truck on Saterday she gets the F150 and same day the F250 burned up a fuel pump. I have 14/45 gears and really want to go to a lower # in the rear. I constantly am hitting the rev limiter. I am lucky as the ride to work is like deej less than 2 miles. Most mornings it takes me 13miles to get there though I keep all my gas recipts as buisness expenses and haveing the KLX has probably cut $200 off my monthly fuel bill. I would not get rid of the cage as there are things I have to have it for. But I ride the KLX about 90% of the time.
Cheers Jim

Quick Reply: KLX as main mode of transportation?