KLX for hard enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX for hard enduro?

Hello guys!
I'am thinking about learning some dirtbike/hardenduro skills, like pivot turning, log hopping etc., but I'm a little bit scared that the first time a drop the bike a lot of things are gonna crack or brake. I have bent 3 or 4 handlebars with my previous bike, is the KLX-s stock handlebard strong enough that it wont bend at the first drop? Does anybody do some "serious" dirt riding with the KLX? Especially interested about the newer version of KLX.

And has anyone tried riding on MX track with KLX? Can the shocks handle bigger jumps?

Last edited by Mateja; 03-20-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Ive done some serious dirt riding with the KLX. It will handle it but it's not the best weapon. It's heavy and under powered but it will get the job done.

Mine has had it's share of drops, falls and crashes. It crashes fairly well if you have the protection. I replaced my bars with Renthal and have never bent them. I have also broke the **** out of the bike as well. Front fender, headlight etc. It all depends on how bad the crash is. The fender headlight thing was when I ran it into a tree.

This is my first "Dirt Bike" and I have learned alot on it. I can't afford something more enduro oriented so Ill be keeping the KLX.

Here is a link to a video I did of a ride last week. Most of the hard parts were not recorded as I forgot to push the button. It's long and not that good but... In the beginning my friend James shows how not to do a pivot turn.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice places and nice riding. It would be nice to have a lighter and more powerful bike, but I try to bring the most out of this little KLX.
BTW, what tires and muffler are you using?

Old 03-21-2020, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I would have loaded it back on the van & would have passed on that ride. Doesn't look like fun. IMO, a KLX would not be a bike I would do an enduro on, but I don't do them anyway. You could do it, I would not place.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Great vid !
Very enjoyable..
Reminds me of the times when I got my newbie kids off on a technical ride..

What's nice is that there are skills you still need to build and the KLX is ready when you are - E.G. Attacking wet log and root traversals.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like you guys had a challenging but successful day. Would you mind sharing where you were riding?

Old 03-23-2020, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mateja
Nice places and nice riding. It would be nice to have a lighter and more powerful bike, but I try to bring the most out of this little KLX.
BTW, what tires and muffler are you using?
I love my KLX and like you, I'm trying to get the most out of it.

Im running the Kenda K760 Trackmaster on the rear and the K772 Parker DT on the front. I don't like the front at all for what I mostly ride. Some times it's great, other times I have no idea what the front is doing. The rear is ok but longevity seems short.

I have an older KLX300 exhaust that I got from @dpippin. Seems to be working great.

Toph

Old 03-23-2020, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Im new to this Gopro on the helmet thing and missed a bunch of footage. Most of the trails were new to me so I didn't know what to expect. There is one trail my riding partners call Ezerberg that I rode most of the way with the camera off. Here is a quick clip of what I got.

Last edited by Topher749; 03-23-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Definitely a ride I would skip.... you guys like mud puddles? You can't soft pedal through them!

Old 04-02-2020, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I would recommend against it. I take mine into the bush when curiosity overpowers common sense. But it's not a good experience. It's too heavy and underpowered for anything challenging.
In short, this bike can do trails where you can sit. If you must stand to make it, the bike will let you down. And hard enduro is the latter.

Quick Reply: KLX for hard enduro?