KLX-fork swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

To those of you that favor Gold valves, have you ridden a KLX with KX forks so that you could compare the two?

Ride on
Brewster

Old 09-16-2016, 02:51 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
To those of you that favor Gold valves, have you ridden a KLX with KX forks so that you could compare the two?

Ride on
Brewster
Good question! Adding to it...are the KX forks stock or updated with gold valves? Curious minds want to know!

Old 09-16-2016, 03:24 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster

Ride on
Brewster
No, but I've ridden the actual KX's with those forks. Most of them were pretty darned good forks as delivered, and you could generally mod them for more performance too. And yes, they are stiffer.

The GV damper mods to the OEM forks just work without any drama, wheel, or other component changes. As to the stiffness, well, we're talking about a KLX here. It's not like we're going to transform the KLX250 into a KTM or such anyway.

Nothing wrong with swapping the fork out on a KLX. Heck, I've done some crazy swaps back in the day with a KX fork on a Kawasaki F7, KX fork on an old air-cooled KDX175, Husky MX forks on an old 360 Husky Enduro model, etc. It's fun, it usually works if you know what you're doing, and you have something unique.

As I get older I tend to want to invest less time for return in such projects. The GV's for the KLX250 do an impressive job of removing the compression spiking. The KLX fork isn't bad. It's just the damping that really needs attention. As to the stiffness, well, it's a KLX250. You can only go so far in making a sow's ear into a silk purse.

And that last comment from a guy who's had his '06 model since '09 and loves it.

The old modification bug is hard to shake even when logic dictates otherwise. I have a complete '01 Honda CR125 rolling chassis sitting in my shop that I got for free from the shop I used to work part time at. I've toyed with the idea of using that fork on my KLX. I've even done some measurements and fiddling with the idea of how a KLX motor could possibly fit in that frame. But hey...effort for return probably ain't in the books.

Everyone is different. The KLX has some options for suspension improvement. The front end off a KX is one and GV's are another. Pick your poison. The GV in the rear shock is another good mod for improvement, and that can easily be accomplished during a routine shock service which should be performed on a routine basis anyway. Heck, the shock is actually easier to work on than the fork.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
The old modification bug is hard to shake even when logic dictates otherwise.
In general, you can see return on investment by the number of people that have chosen to go down a path. This forum has widespread information on big bore and jetting changes and lots of people have done RTGV mods.

Swapping forks seems amazingly complicated to me, rife with potential downstream problems with brakes, instruments, offset and things you can't even imagine.

KLXs are not expensive bikes. So, you need to think in terms of total investment into the project. If Gold Valves don't solve the problem, you're probably better off buying something like a CFR250x.

It's easy to dig a deep hole modding. Trying to work out the problems with a fork swap on a sunny day as winter closes in has a price I am not willing to pay.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is what is involved in swapping in KX forks on a KLX300:
HOW TO INSTALL KX-250 FORKS ON THE KLX-300
(notice who the author is)

I did the Gold Valves in the forks and tweeked the shims to what worked best for my riding style and terrain. After making the needed items to swap in the KX-250 forks, I went out to the local motorcycle park. Started off with the Gold Valve KLX300 forks and rode for awhile. Swapped in the KX and went out for more riding. For me, I haven't gone back to the KLX forks.

I hope that anyone else that has swapped in KX forks will chime in.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 09-16-2016, 07:54 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Brewster, I think several here over the years have done the KX fork swap with good results.

I'm curious on your MX track test. I raced my state's enduro circuit for many years, and for some of that I occasionally raced at our local MX track...very occasionally. Most of my enduro bikes set up ideally for enduro events really didn't shine on the MX track in the suspension department...except perhaps for one of the Husky's I had back then.

For many enduro riders and especially for trail riders, the suspension usually needs to be set up a little softer and more supple than an MX bike...usually. Getting beaten up for 3-5 hours during an enduro on an MX suspension wasn't my version of pleasure.

Anyway, I would expect a KX fork to shine on an MX track, but I would generally want some softer damping for the trail. Yes, there are lots of variables here to consider, so there are probably no absolutes.

If after a GV mod to a KLX one doesn't get enough satisfaction in suspension improvement, maybe a good used KTM or such would be in order as a better money pit...LOL! We know how the dirt bike mod disease goes.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I'm curious on your MX track test. I raced my state's enduro circuit for many years, and for some of that I occasionally raced at our local MX track...very occasionally. Most of my enduro bikes set up ideally for enduro events really didn't shine on the MX track in the suspension department...except perhaps for one of the Husky's I had back then.
I was not on a MX track. The terrain was more like enduro riding. My only complaint with the KX forks is that they showed that the rear end of the bike still needs more tuning. I've done several adjustments to the shock shim stack and thought it was good, until I installed the KX forks, sprung for my weight, 155 lbs.
Keep in mind that the KX forks came from a bike that weighed much less than the KLX. I did not change the shim stacks in the KX forks.

Ride on
Brewster

Last edited by Brewster; 09-16-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the OP here has a 2008+ bike. So the spacers wouldn't work as, I believe, the forks are shorter or have less travel.

It's just one of those things in the can of worms.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
I think the OP here has a 2008+ bike. So the spacers wouldn't work as, I believe, the forks are shorter or have less travel.

It's just one of those things in the can of worms.
The spacer lengths are designed to reduce the length of the KX forks so that the KX forks end up the same length as the KLX forks. The difference in the distance from the axel to the top of the fork is the length of the spring spacers. The spring spacers reduce the distance the fork can expand. KLX springs are used. No big deal.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 08-03-2021, 01:12 PM
Default 2021 KLX 230r fork swap

Originally Posted by zklx250
So after an awesome dual sport ride this weekend, I decided I've got to do something with my suspension. My race bike is a KTM 300xc, so the KLX is a huge step down in that department.

I'm actually fairly happy with how the rear end works, but the front is beating me up pretty bad.

My first thought was to send it off to my normal suspension guy and see what he could do with it, but then I thought maybe there were some forks I could just swap out with and go from there.
dose anyone know if it is possible to put kx forks on a 2021 KLX 230r?